Friday, January 5, 2007

Friday Jan 5 Update




Today was a different kind of day. It was like when we lived in Springville and drove in to Paris to shop. Or live in Hobart and drive in to Altus. Well, here we ‘live’ in Hawi and we drove over to Waimea. It’s my favorite drive on the whole island. It’s 20 miles from here. We drive up over the peak of the mountain and get to see green on one side and dry cactus land on the other side. Off on past the cactus side we can see the Kona side of the island, where the ocean washes up to the island. It’s a beautiful drive.

Waimea is the same as Kamuela. I don’t know why they use two names a lot, but they do. Anyway, it’s a bigger town, nestled in the mountain between Kona and Hilo. They think it’s winter up there. It is cooler than here. We wore our long jeans and tennis shoes and were glad to have them. That’s paniolo country (cowboy country) because the big ranches are there. I got a couple of pictures from the car that I’ll put on today’s blog. You can see the ranch lands and hillsides where I was trying to get a picture of the poinsettias growing like we have iris growing. Of course I missed the best part, but it’s a pretty good shot of the hillside with the fog coming over the hill. This is the Hawaii you never expect to see! I got a shot of the stop sign coming out of the shopping center; it’s too cool. It says, “Whoa.” I’ve never even seen that around our cowboy country at home! These pictures aren’t great, but they’re the best I could get out of the car window. There was always someone in a hurry behind us, so we couldn’t stop to get a good picture.

We didn’t go whale watching today. We were watching paniolo! Imagine that! I love it. We went to the Salvation Army Thrift Store and bought a backpack to take hiking. We like to take a lunch and I pack it on my back so my hands are free to catch me if I fall. I came off and forgot to bring a backpack, so I got a brand new one today for $4; still had the tags on it. I got a visor for 50 cents, too. I’m in business for hiking and whale watching, now!

Oh, the update on the hair is that it’s still coming out lots and lots, but I don’t miss it from my head. I think I have plenty to spare! I feel great.

The update on the weather is that the sun has been out for the last 3 hours or so; solid. It looks like the Hawaii we recall!

Love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Seeing that "Mahalo" sign made me remember when Brenda told us "Mahalo" means trash. All the McDonald's trash bins said "Mahalo" on them so we had no reason to question her. She is still giggling about that one to this day!

    I think all Stop signs should have a caveat below with a little sign saying, "And Smell The Roses". I saw one like that on the Internet but our City fathers don't think they can make it our own here! I might try the "Whoa" idea!! Somehow "Whoa And Smell the Roses" doesn't have the same ring to it though!! Ha! LOL!!

    Some heads were made perfect and some God had to cover with hair. Even without hair, you will be perfect MaryJo! Luckily you haven't had your hair as your biggest vanity so this stage will be easier for you. I can picture you now as G.I. Jane, running on the beach, and being beautiful.

    Enjoy the pictures with sushine, rainbows, and lush greenery. Keep passing on your fun-filled vacation pictures. Soak it all in and ENJOY!!

    Thinking of you daily with love and prayers. Love, B&S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the chuckle, Susan and Boyd! We are so fortunate to have this wonderful place of Bob's to 'shed' and enjoy life. The timing is perfect. Today is gorgeous and no rain, yet. Don is enjoying football and I'm enjoying outside. I might go lay in the hammock for a while; it doesn't get much use. I think Bob only lays down to go to sleep and spends the rest of his time keeping this place perfect. The cows are so funny; they think life is all about them, so I'm sure I'll put them on alert if I go out there. They are such a hoot. Thanks so much for your thoughts, love and prayers. The card you sent was really a good one, too! Thanks for being in my life; you make for some great memories! Love, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete