Sunday, January 28, 2007

Saturday Jan 27 Update

Today was Don’s 67th birthday, and it was a very good one. The day was beautiful. We don’t even remember how long ago it was that it rained here. We went to the Banyan tree this morning and got more dried white pineapple and dried bananas. Those are SO good! Then we went to a nearby beach to watch for whales. What a birthday show they performed. There were whales everywhere. There were so many different ones popping up here and there that we couldn’t keep our eyes on one for missing another! I took 56 pictures hoping to get some good ones. They aren’t very good for anyone except us and Jo and Sam and Brent and Zelma and anyone else who has seen them. The rest of you will probably think, “THAT’S what they get so excited about? They out to get a life!” This first picture is how a spout looks; it’s the first clue that there is a whale out there:

Actually, you can see a bit of the whale in that shot, too. I’m sorry about those spots in the sky; that’s on my lens, and I can’t get it off. Ugh. Usually, after you see a blow, you’ll get a glimpse of the hump of the whale, like in this next shot:

Then after the hump, you usually get to see the tail, which looks like this:

That’s all very exciting. Folks are standing around saying, “Look! A spout! A hump! There’s the tail! Then the excitement intensifies when we see a scene like in the next shot:

That’s the spout of one whale and the hump of another, so it sounds like this: “There are TWO of them!” It’s really fun and adults are standing around clapping and oohing and ahhing!

While all this was happening up close (see how close the lava is where we were standing) there were others out in the background breaching and slapping their tails. One slapped his tail as if he was a one-man show and the world depended on him. He was way out there and I got a shot, but you can’t tell much about it. It was better through the binoculars and I’m sure a great camera and experienced photographer could have gotten an awesome shot. We have it imbedded in our memories, though. Here’s the best I could get of the tail slapping:

I hope you aren’t too disappointed in today’s pictures. They were very exciting for us! Jo and Sam and Brent and Zelma will recognize the beach as Kapaa Park. I was down on the rocks to get as close as I could, instead of back at the picnic tables. It was a breath-taking day.

On the way home we stopped at the community center where they were having a bazaar. I found some great souvenirs and an awesome pair of shoes. Hobart thinks we are a cute couple because we walk all over town holding hands and I wear these knee bands. Well, wait until I show up in my new walking shoes! I almost bought them at the bazaar, but I just tried them on and decided to think about it. I came home and looked them up on the Internet and found a pair on Ebay for about ¼ the cost at the bazaar. I have the bid right now and they end tomorrow. If I don’t get this pair there are several other pairs on Ebay at a good savings. They’ll make me about 10 inches taller when I wear them, but the best part is they increase lymph flow and when wearing them the impact is reduced by 80%, so walking will be so much easier on my knees. I am very excited about learning about them and will be anxious to get started wearing them. Hobart, get braced; knee bands are nothing compared to these shoes!

Davy and Susan should be landing in an hour; then they’ll be here in a couple of hours. What a way to top of a wonderful birthday! God is so generous. I love you all!

4 comments:

  1. You guys make us feel that we are right there with you. Your pictures and comments bring back such great memories of our trip to the island. Happy Birthday to Don- we love you!! Enjoy your visit with the kidos. Take care of yourselves and remember you're always in our thoughts and prayers. Love you both!! B & Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Don!! Thought of you when I went to www.gotoquiz.com and took the Oklahoma test under the United States category. You'll see why if you take the test. Cool website and you don't have to be too techno to take the test! You can make your own quizzes too.
    Cool pictures, Jo! You are going to have to make a huge scrapbook for all your treasures from Hawaii. But the memories will last forever. What fun to go back next fall to housesit again! Enjoy your company and all the fun things you'll do. Hope you'll still have time to blog and REST! Thinking of you daily, Sue-San

    ReplyDelete
  3. B&Z, we think of you so often, knowing you've been there and done that! It feels like you're here, so that counts for something. When I put the pictures on, I think you'll appreciate them more than the folks who haven't seen it, even. We love looking at them and we just saw the real thing!

    We're so enjoying Davy and Susan! We're really grateful that they could join us. What a great help they are, too!

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue-san, you are such a character! I'm barely having time for rest and blog. Everyone else is gone to bed and I'm blogging while I wait on the laundry to get done. Thanks for keeping up with us and keeping us entertained. We'll have to get Don busy on that OK test. Thanks for the birthday wish; he's celebrating all week. :) Love you, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete