Sunday, January 14, 2007

Saturday Jan 13 Update




Today was a long, but fun day. Sam drove to the complete opposite end of the island and back, so that’s a lot of driving. It’s about 120 miles from here, but it’s all 2 lane and lots of time you can only go about 35 mph or less because of the traffic. We learned that the locals go places on the weekend, so we’ll know better than to do that on another Saturday! We saw more people than we usually do.

We weren’t hunting whales today, although we saw lots jumping just from the car as we drove down the road. We started out at the city of Refuge, where you’ll see Jo and I with our arms around some of the ‘locals’ there.

The next picture is a couple of huge turtles that had half buried themselves in the black sand of the beach. We saw lots many turtles today. They are pretty cool to find.

The last picture is the point down at South Point, the southern most tip of this state and our country. It has a wind farm on it that I don’t remember being there 2 years ago when we were here. The wind nearly blew us away, so I’m sure it’s a good place for it!

We are all as tired as we’ve been since they’ve been here, I think. Don has had his shower; it’s my turn, now, so I’m done. I love you all! Thanks for stopping by to check on us. All is good with us. Rest is the first thing on our agenda right now . . . well, after the bath!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for continuing to share your good times in word and pictures! So beautiful! I've been "under a rock" the past two days so wasn't aware of tsunami warning....Phil had done a good job of keeping it from me so I wouldn't worry! He knows me so well. I'm glad you are having a good time, but don't forget to take care of YOU and REST!! (I think that is what you would tell me!)
    We love you!
    Ruthie & Phil

    PS Just talked to Trish and Rob; all is well there..they didn't lose power, but have lots of ice on ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you, Ruthie and Phil! Phil, thanks for keeping the tsunami watch out of Ruthie's grasp. It was kind of exciting around here for a bit. We're up way high, (1500 feet) but we were concerned about what would happen if we had no power, no airport, and no phone lines. God took care of us! Thanks for checking on the OKC clan; thank God for taking care of them, too. We love you all! Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete