Monday, January 8, 2007

Sunday Jan 7 Update



Wow, today was the day we paid for our ‘keep.’ It didn’t rain, so Don was able to mow. While he mowed I did some upkeep around the trees, picked up leaves, etc. After he went past the part that we water, I watered. It was the most work I’ve done in a while, but I managed it just fine. Then we came inside and I vacuumed and dusted. He got the vacuum out and carried it up and down the stairs for me and helped me get things out of the way so I could get around good. It’s so nice to have him helping and doing so much of the work. I played farmer and picked up the fruit and shared with Zoe and Stewie.

We went to church this morning, and it was really good to see everyone that we’ve come to know and love since we first came here 7 years ago. Little kids have grown into adults and they are still such good people. They don’t meet on the first Sunday night of the month, so we didn’t go back tonight. We had a good Bible class study in Jude and a good New Year’s lesson that followed. They had a potluck dinner after services at the home of one of the members, but we elected to abstain since I have to watch what I eat and I have all this hair escaping; how rude to go to a place where people are eating and I’m shedding!

We would never have gotten our chores done if we’d gone back, anyway. We gave thanks in the yard for the ability to do all that work under these awesome conditions. As I was pulling weeds and raking, I thought how nice it is to get to do all that in 75-degree weather instead of 90-degree weather. I love home, but this is sure a nice home away from home! Working here is not a life-threatening thing; I never thought for a second about a heat stroke. It was just a nice day and God was so good to give it to us.

I also did lots of research today. I’m ready for bed, but I need a bath. I love you all; thanks for your patience. It’s not even 7 here, but I know you all have probably gone to bed and won’t see this until tomorrow. It won’t matter; just keep in mind that we are 4 hours behind Central Standard Time and 5 hours behind Eastern Standard Time. California is only a couple of hours ahead of us.

Today’s pictures are the yard where I work to keep the trees looking neat and the cows. They have that look of, “Yeah, I see you have the bucket, but where’s the real farmer?” I thought I’d try to rush an orange and pull it off the tree and Zoe looked at me with a look that said, “Cool, can we do THAT???” I had no clue that a cow’s tongue is so LONG! I quickly decided to let the orange come off when it’s ready and not teach the cows any tricks! I can just see Bob coming home and finding the trees cleaned off wherever the cows could reach! They are so polite right now; they just wait for us to toss them their share. I couldn’t believe it today: there was one grapefruit that something (maybe a mongoose?) had cleaned out the whole fruit and just left the skin. I threw it over to Stewie and he scoffed it right down. I guess the fiber is good for them? I think I’ll save the skins for them the next time I juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment