Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Tuesday Jan 2 Update



Okay, you learn it first right here on the blog. Everyone has been asking if I’ve lost my hair yet. I didn’t expect to lose it at all because the doses of chemo in IPT are small and side effects are minimized. But today is the day that we’ll see if my feeling on hair is really true. I always say, “The best hair is gone hair.” Well, today a lot if my hair is gone. I don’t miss it and there is a lot left, but a LOT is gone. We went to the beach and hiked for an hour and a half. We saw whales and beautiful rainbows. The whales are too fast to get a picture, but I’ll send a picture of the rainbow and the kitchen window from the inside. Notice the beautiful orchids growing right in the window!

There were several common side effects to the chemo I had, and I have none of those. An uncommon one is the loss of hair and it comes 3 – 4 weeks after the beginning of the treatment. At least I’m right on time with it. Don can be proud of me being on time. It won’t take it long to grow back and I think we will find a way to chuckle about it. Maybe I’ll just lose some. I have plenty to spare, so maybe nobody will ever know the difference if I don’t lose anymore. The folks who come to visit us will have to keep an eye out for loose hair; there might be hair everywhere. They have a good Kirby, so maybe we can keep up with it. I’ll have to wear white shirts so it won’t be so noticeable on my shoulders. Maybe it’ll all be gone by red shirt Friday; yeah, like anyone will notice the hair on my shoulders if my head is bald! Ha! Bob has a hat I can borrow.

I probably should have some concern about this, but I’ve had plenty of hair over the years. I’m over quota on hair, so it’s a blessing to be free of it for a time. I’m hoping it will take this one whisker on my chin that I can feel but can’t see to tweeze! God will provide the hair I need and the humor to deal with it. This is way better than the other more common side effects, and we know the chemo is in there doing something!

One of the other patients, at the clinic lost her hair and she was enjoying ‘portable hair.’ Maybe that’ll be the thing to do, then I can have it or not! We’ll see. I’ll keep you up to date on the hair or balding status.

Love and prayers! Mary Jo

4 comments:

  1. Jo, you won't do! I still remember your long pony tail in high school, and the day you came with short hair!! Everyone was going, "Jo cut her hair short, can you believe Jo cut her long hair?!"" Do you remember, it was the talk of the day. Good memory. If I lost any hair I would be bald since I only have about 68 hairs. I'll help you with your whisker when I get there! Can you wait? The rainbow picture was awesome!! Thnx, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good memory for me. I always loved when the hair was gone. I hated finding long hairs where they weren't supposed to be. I let it grow a couple of times over the years, but always got really tired of fooling with it.

    Mary (another patient who is wearing portable hair), said all hers didn't fall out, though, so I think I should sort of watch. Maybe this is just a phase and a bunch will fall out and then it'll stop. I must have jillions of hairs, so I could lose a lot and still look like sombody instead of ET. Everyone loved ET, though and my fingers are in good shape; plus I've found a couple of places around the house where the phone will pick up a tower and I can 'phone home!'

    I can hardly wait for you to get her!!! If you can get that whisker, it'll be great! Don can't see it, either.

    Don told me this morning that I'm shedding worse than the cat. Bless his heart; he's sweet to joke.

    It's just part of the adventure. One of the more common side effects is nausea. I am so easy to get motion sickness; that one wouldn't have surprised me, and it would have made me miserable. God is so good to not let that one happen. He knows I love gone hair, so He's so in my corner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone I know who lost their hair from chemo had curly hair when it grew back! And one friend's hair grew back brown instead of grey! I hope you continue your blog after you are home and fully recovered because I think I am growing dependent on a daily dose of your strong spirit and sense of humor! Take care, Patty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patty, aren't you the best? I've been thinking everyone is probably pretty bored with the blog these days since nothing big is happening. It seems like a lot is happening here, but it sounds kind of like the same thing when I write. I was almost glad to report my hair was falling out, yesterday; something new to write! We are expecting company next week, so we're excited about that. We'll go show them a bunch of wonderful things and I'll get some great new pictures to share. God so richly blessed us with this wonderful place to recover and with the recovery! I've even found a couple of places where I can use the phone right here on the place. One is at the corner of the garage and one is right here in the office. So ET can 'phone home' without driving to the beach! Who could ask for more? I hope you are growing dependant on being in touch, because it sure is a comfort and encouragement to me to hear from you real often! Love you, Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete