Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Here's how it is.



The pictures on the blog today are from the wonderful Labor Day weekend with Trish and her family.

1) Gabe playing the guitar; I’m sure he could play some loud stuff that would make me wish he were in the basement, but he never did. He played beautiful, soft music. I smiled every time he played.
2) Another good smile we got from Raynie! She’s such a sweetie!
3) A shot of Raynie and Sadie and I. You can tell I was having a great weekend!

Many people are very concerned about me and I really appreciate that. I feel so fortunate that I’m not as sick as a dog. That may come with the last 3 months of chemo as it is a tougher mix and the doctor has warned me that it will be tougher. I’m braced for it.

You’ve seen from the pictures that my hair is gone. I still have some stubble on my head, but it was not enough to comb. It’s enough to shave! I love it being bald, but my head is really cold. I wear two or three hats most of the time; I sleep in 4 little cotton caps. (Any less and I wake up freezing, so 4 seems to be the magic number.)

You know that I get tired, so I have to nap daily if possible. It seems to be a thing I can balance fairly well and folks are very understanding that I have to escape to nap sometimes.

For the last 5 days I’ve noticed that my toes and fingers are feeling lots of tingling and pain. It’s a chemo side effect. My knees and heels hurt, too. Mostly I don’t notice it. When I go to bed, I just have to sleep on my side so that the covers and bed don’t hurt my toes and heels; plus that’s easier on my knees. When I handle dishes I have to be careful not to drop things. I had trouble buttoning a shirt today. At first I thought I’d been on my feet too much the first day I noticed it. But, it didn’t go away. My toes feel like I’ve been wearing shoes that are too little, but I don’t even wear closed toed shoes! My fingers feel like I’ve been quilting for 48 straight hours. Not! It feels like my fingers and toes are swollen and might burst, but they aren’t. When I was playing cards with Nate, I noticed that I couldn’t pick up the cards rapidly for a game that required speed. I’ve noticed that I have trouble turning pages. This is a minor thing and will go away as soon as the chemo is over. I just have to be careful that I don’t stub my toes or drop something and hurt myself and just be patient turning pages and buttoning.

That’s the report for those of you who think I’m putting up a front. This is how it really is: not so bad! It’s real, but it’s a thing I can do. Thankfully Don is a wonderful help! He did all the vacuuming today and I got the dusting done. Whew! The house is clean, so y’all come if you’ll let me get my naps! We’re counting blessings and loving every minute! Thank you, God!





10 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a great time with Trish, Rob and the kids. Grandkids are such a blessing. They are such a beautiful family. You look good and we're so glad that you're feeling as good as you are. You and Don are both very special to us and we hope if you need anything you will let us know. You're always in our prayers. Love ya, B & Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. B & Z, it's so good to hear from you! You've been on our minds so much; visiting with Celia last week reminded us of our last visit with you at their house last Thanksgiving. Time sure flies, doeesn't it!

    Thanks for keeping us in your prayers and on your special list. You know we feel the same and really love you all.

    Hugs,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. MaryJo,
    I KNOW you would not put up a front...I KNOW you would tell it like it is and I appreciate it very much. I like hearing these little details...I want to be prepared if or when I ever need to go through this. I really don't have much experience with the side effects and I am interested in learning. Thanks for teaching me. Love the pictures...great kids and you look wonderful. dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, I so treasure the day you walked into the Branson reunion! You've always been such a delight to know and you've been such a great support through this experience! I so value your opinion and your humor. I hope you never need the information I'm sharing, but likely you'll know someone who will and you are such great support for me; I know you will be for others, too.

    Thanks for loving me!

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What precious pictures....again!! I hope Rob & Tricia (and the brothers) are going to be ready to fight all the guys off their porch who are after their beautiful daughters and sisters!! The next time we are in your area Gabe has got to perform for us!! Thanks so much for letting us know the side effects you are currently dealing with. I'm sure they are uncomfortable at times, but you have learned how to manage them along with everything else!! It's just a part of the "bumpy road" and even though you know it will probably get "bumpier", you'll remember that He is holding your hand all the way and so am I!!

    Sending my love and prayers for such a wonderful sister!

    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That little Raynie is such a cutie pie. You are indeed an inspiration, Sissy. You are my special blessing. I keep you in my prayers. I love you Terri

    ReplyDelete
  7. So that's why Nate was able to beat you at Spit! I knew he wasn't that fast.... Think we should tell him?

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruthie, for sure we'll have to have Gabe perform for you. He amazes me! I agree, I hope he and Nate are braced to protect the sisters. I don't remember Jim protecting us . . . guess we weren't in any danger, huh? Wherever Nate and Gabe leave off, Mason will step up, not to mention Rob! They're a fun and close family.

    Thanks so much for your support. I need you to be holding my hand.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terri, you keep it up with those prayers! It feels good to be a blessing to you. So many folks are blessing me; they really always have, but it's sure easy to see these days. God's teaching me to pay attention and really appreciate people. Thanks for finding a blessing in me!

    I love you gobs!

    Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trish, don't you dare tell Nate that! He probably would have beat me, anyway. He's fast! Remember when he learned to play when we were at Buena Vista? He was really fast, then! I love playing with him!

    It was such a fantastic weekend! Thanks so much for coming!

    Love and miss you all,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete