Monday, September 24, 2007

Thanks for what we have; nobody cares what's missing!

The picture on today’s blog is only another from yesterday’s photo shoot. We didn’t get around to any more pictures today.

I don’t even know where today went. It was one of those days. Don came in around 3 and asked if I’d gotten my nap today and I told him I hadn’t even thought of it! I guess I wasn’t too tired, huh? Well, I’m pooped, NOW!

It was a beautiful day here, though! Don went to breakfast with a guy who is visiting his sister-in-law here. He and his wife come every year to visit a dear friend of ours and he and Don always go catch a breakfast or two while they’re here. I caught up on emails while he was gone. When he came back in he said, “Since we’re changing your bandage today, do you want to go walk with me?” I was so thrilled! The day was gorgeous and the breeze was great. I didn’t sweat a bit. That went so well that I went out this afternoon and hoed some weeds! I’m hoeing all the weeds that jump up and go, “Na-na-na-na-na,” each day that I can. I’m so proud. I’m out there going, “Na-na-na-na-na!” Actually, someone sent me an email today that said something like, ‘So often we think about the things we are missing instead of the things we have.’ That went CLUNK with me! I go out there and mentally growl at the weeds as I hoe; today I went out and gave thanks for the irises and crepe myrtles blooming as well as all the other flowers that bloom in the spring. It made it lots more fun to do! That same email had a song with it, and while I couldn’t understand some of the words, the main, recurring phrase was, “I’m ALIVE!” I loved it! It came without a link; it’s a power point kind of thing that I just opened and there it was. If you are interested in it, email me and I’ll forward it to you. If you have dial up, I think it will be a very lengthy download, but it was sure good.

Also we had company today. We love company. She didn’t stay long, but it was a nice visit. Also David and Dorothy brought our new phones, so we’re in cell business, again. We don’t know how to work the phones, but we know how to answer. We’ll figure out how to use them tomorrow. I’m so glad that Don has one this time! Now if we get separated at MD Anderson we can call each other!

We changed the bandage a while ago. That is always so stressful. We have to keep everything sterile for that procedure, so of course my nose itches. Too bad; no scratching; no touching. Ugh. When we took off the old bandage there was a blister about the size of my little fingernail from the tape. I’m lucky it hadn’t burst, so the skin wasn’t raw under it. Each week I have to figure out a new direction to make the bandage go so that the tape eats up a new piece of skin. I’m so running out of good skin. I’ll be so glad to get to Houston and get on with the next phase of this chemo. I don’t think it will make any difference with these bandages, though. I’ll have to keep bandaging as long as I have the port and that’ll be a long time. Maybe MDA will have another bandage we can use that will work better. This was the best one of all we used, but I think there is one other one we haven’t used. We’ll see.

God is good; there are so many things for which to give thanks! Forget what we’re missing; let’s count all we have!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary Jo,
    As I told you, it has been quite a while since I have been to your blog. Have spent the last couple of nights catching up. I am amazed but not surprised to see your smiling face and the sparkle in your eyes in all of your pictures. Loved the one of you and Bob Clark side by side with matching heads - I think you look great. Wouldn't even want to think what I would like with no hair. Was also nice to see the pictures of Linda and Tom and put faces with names. She left me such a sweet card after there visit here with you and Don. Had a cat on the front that looked like HeHe even with a bird feather in his mouth!
    Your steadfast faith and praises to our God through all that you have been through are a goal we should all strive for in our daily lives. As you are faithful, He will be too! You are doing great and I am so proud of you. Look forward to seeing you and Don at the reunion if not sooner.
    Love and Aloha - Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob! How good to hear from you! (Everyone else, THIS is the guy for whom we house sit in Hawaii! His HeHe is the cat who loved to be raked and also loved to snack on a bird from time to time; HeHe has the muscles of a mountain lion but the sweetness of a darling grandbaby. Bob is our dear friend!)

    Bob, you have to plan to come to the reunion and let the rest of your life work around it! We can't do another one without you, so don't make us struggle!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete