Thursday, September 20, 2007

Introducing Linda and Tom Rose.



This was chemo #10 day in Lawton. My numbers were just about like last week, so there were no snags! Nobody seems to be the least bit worried about my disconnected stitch on the PICC line, so I won’t be worried, either. We just changed the bandage when we got home and made sure the other two are right. We’ll keep the bandage in good shape, so the PICC line really can’t go anywhere. When we get back to Houston we’ll let them fix it if they want to do that. I thank God that I’m doing so well with all this!

I don’t have current pictures to share, so I will introduce Linda and Tom Rose. Linda is a frequent poster on the blog, so I want you to know who they are.

Linda and Tom were both in my graduating class at Franklin County High School. I moved to school in the middle of our sophomore year. Linda was always a sweetheart, but she was kind of shy, and she lived in a nearby town, so we weren’t thrown together much. (You know kids didn’t have their own cars then; we did good to borrow the family car from time to time!) She was voted Most Neat in our class and she was physically and personally, too. Tom had done his freshman year at a private school up on Sewanee Mountain, so he was kind of a newcomer to FCHS, too. Most of the kids knew him, but he wasn’t attached to a girl. He was kind enough to ask me for a date, and we became best friends. I had never known a nicer guy. Neither of us dated anyone else and we graduated thinking we would get married. We went to college together, but then went our separate ways and never stayed in touch. (Snail mail has always been a pit and long distance was impossible back then. We found each other on the Internet about 10 years ago and kept in touch. When I told them we were going to Hawaii to house sit last winter, Linda told me they’d love to house sit if ever we couldn’t do it and reminded me that she is neat. Ha! I wrote and said they should come join us, so they DID. It was the best reunion! Having Tom in the house was like having someone from the family there because he knew my brother and sister from the time we dated. He’d fixed my Dad’s boat trailer on a boating trip once. He’d been there when my Mom had breast cancer. We’d been through a lot together. Anyway it was wonderful to have them join us for a great time in Hawaii. More treasured memories! Linda has been such an inspiration; we love them both like family.

Pictures on the blog:
1. Linda and Tom and Don on the lanai eating biscuits, gravy and that wonderful juice that Linda helped me to juice.
2. Linda and Tom after we’d nearly killed ourselves hiking to the green sand beach. Don’s Tours (Don; Linda gave him that nickname.) took us on to the black sand beach and we were barely standing. The best way to stand was leaning on the best person in life.
3. Linda and Tom on the ‘storybook hike.’ It was an easy and beautiful hike right beside the ocean.

Thank you, God for great friends, family, and the memories that go with them. Thank you for keeping us all safe, healthy and happy. God bless you all for sharing our lives with us.

6 comments:

  1. Jo,
    Just checking in this morning. Sorry you had to change the picc line bandage...yuck! Yesterday at the hospital, Kailan didn't mind the iv or anything else, but having the bandage and tape taken off of that iv. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. You are right old friends are some of the best!
    Enjoy,
    Rene' www.caringbridge.org/visit/kailanhaught

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rene, Kailan is my hero. I think of her every time we change that bandage, or pull any tape for that matter. Of course I think of you, too, because you see her through all this. I just know if a 4 and 5 year old can deal with it then I can, too.

    I hope Kailan is able to fight off this bug before too long. She's a reall trooper, so she should be fine; it's just something else to grow that character. She'll me a mighty one, won't she!

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, I can't wait for Sleeping Tom to get out of bed and see your blog today. What sweet things you said about us. Thank you. Praying hard, Linda R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jo, Great news! I was thinking about you all day, wondering and Praying that all would go well with your Chemo treatment. So glad they are really counting down. You mention Kailan being a real trouper, You are one too! I just loved Gracie with that modeling Stance. She is a modle alright!! I love all the pictures of people that are Friends and Families of yours and Don's. I am Praying hard for Ruthie. Bless her heart and bless Phil's for being so good to her. What would we ever do without our 'Heros?' Our God is a Great, or is the Greatest and He answers Prayers. Will always keep praying for all and especially you!
    Much Love, Dot and Frazier

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, what is the deal with Tom sleeping so late? He must have been really working hard on some project! I believe in rest, so let him rest. I think nobody should ever be waked unless the house is on fire; not dogs even and surely not people!

    I didn't have the vocabulary to tell the real truth about how warm you all are in our lives. I did the best I could, but could never state it adequately. You two are the best!

    Thanks so much for being in the front row seat of my life.

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dot, how are your new glasses working? I was so tickled to reach Frazier when I called to check on Ruthie the other day! Yes, what would we do without our 'heroes?' God has a good plan to put us together like he does.

    Thanks so much for keeping us all in your prayers. Our God is so great to keep up with all of us and our requests, but it's easy for Him!

    Have a great weekend; enjoy your hero!

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete