Thursday, September 6, 2007

Neuropathy caused by the Chemo. Ick.




Taxol is the chemotherapy that I am on. I had my 8th of 12 treatments today. I’m doing really well, but I have a side effect that is not good. I’m not throwing up and that is good. I do have neuropathy in my toes and heels and fingers that started after last week’s treatment. I was surprised that the doctor was so concerned about it today. I came home and looked it up on the Internet and found the following information. You may want to check on it:

http://www.acscsn.org/Forum/Discussion/thread/view?msgid=52880&msgrid=46

I can handle the pain I’m having now, but if it gets worse, that’ll be something new to handle. I hate the part that it my never heal! That’s a bad deal, but I trust God to handle this, too. As I understand it this neuropathy means that the nerve endings are being destroyed and it may heal or it may not. That’s not good and they and I don’t want it to get any worse. The doctor gave me a medication to take today in hopes that it will stop it by next week. The doctor will examine me next week and if the neuropathy is not better then we will back off on the Taxol and use a smaller dose. That’s the plan at this point. God is in control. If it never gets better than it is I can stand this; I really pray that it doesn’t move into my wrists and ankles and back. God knows and will take care of me; He knows what I can handle.

Other than this neuropathy, today went very well. I feel fine and thank God that nothing worse is happening. I will write an email to the doctor at MD Anderson to be sure she is involved with the plan and the treatments. My numbers were good today, so we’re playing cards here tomorrow night. I don’t have to be fast to play canasta, so I can do it!

The pictures today:

1) Trish and I visiting as Raynie sat in my lap. She was content, but you can tell she felt comfortable recognizing her mommy nearby.
2) A shot of Raynie in the tub. She loves the water, but you can tell she was thinking, ‘This feels so good, but how will I explain this when she puts these naked pictures on the blog for the whole world to see?’ She covered up her top and I cropped out the rest, so I think she’ll forgive me.
3) Poppy snuggling a sweet little Raynie. All the kids always feel so secure in his arms, whether he stands or sits. It’s amazing how he attracts and holds them. He’s a great Poppy.

We know that God is in control and we pray for His help. First I give thanks, believing that He will do what is best. The specific prayer is to thank Him for directing us to good care. Then I thank Him for catching this neuropathy before it causes permanent damage. Then I thank Him for my Jiggling George and the Power Plate to help me to keep strong and stimulate repair to my nerve endings. I thank Him for giving me strength to handle this treatment and recover completely from it. This neuropathy was only a word in the list of things that could happen until it became real today as all the details about it became meaningful as I ‘tried them on for size, and found that they fit!’ I have done so well with this treatment, so I know that I will overcome this bump in the road. God is so good. He has given us so many blessings for which and for whom we give thanks. He will continue His abundant care. God bless you for caring. Please don’t be worried; please join me and be happy that things are still good and please continue to pray and give thanks and all the glory and praise to our awesome Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment