Saturday, October 17, 2009

Flunked my mountain goat test.


This is a cropped and up closer picture of the goats I had on here yesterday. I love this picture. It's not the most picturesque, I guess, but only because you don't see the water behind me! The water is gorgeos here. To me, this is the real Hawaii that few tourists see and not even very many of the locals because it's so remote. Most of the locals have to work too much to take the time to make these hikes. I thank God that we've had the opportunity to enjoy these places, even down to the goats.

Speaking of goats. My good friend, Jim Miller, from 7th grade is an avid hiker. His wife, Jill, calls him "Mountain Goat Miller." He'd be ashamed of me today, as is Don, because I fell when on my walk. (Don was home watching football and I was irreverently skipping the game.) It was a really stupid fall. I wasn't doing anything difficult; just walking. To amuse myself I was counting the geese, as if I could count and as if it mattered. It's simply an OCD thing of mine: always counting something, usually getting it wrong, and always forgetting the outcome. Anyway, I was strolling along and didn't notice the speed bump in the road until I stumbled over it and fell onto my hands and knees. Then I turned around to look for the culprit and there was the speed bump. Duh. The good thing is that I don't have Alzheimer's or I would have fallen flat on my face and my nose would be skinned intead of my hands and knees. (People with Alzheimer's don't realize they are falling or that they should put their hands out to catch themselves.) More good news is that my bones must be pretty good because I only broke skin. Skin heals pretty quickly. I came right home and cleaned it all, and I'm off to give David and Dorothy haircuts. I look on the fall as a test of my bones that is a lot cheaper than the last one I had at MD Anderson ($600).

We're playing cards tonight at the home of another couple from church, who have been playing with us lately. We look forward to it. We'll leave in time for Don to get in on most of OSU's game.

No comments:

Post a Comment