Sunday, October 18, 2009

Ouch.


This picture I took at Bob's house back in June. I must have taken hundreds of pictures of these guys in an attempt to get this one of him making his throat do this. Look, it's all huge and pink. It's not normally like that. He just does it sometimes. I have no idea why; I should study it and learn, but I think it's cool. One day I'll learn what is happening. I think this one is a chameleon because they are usually green, but this one is brown right here. The pictures I got of the same guy earlier showed him to be green. Go figure.

Now, the real news of the day. I went walking by myself because Don was watching football. It was a gorgeous day and I made it 4 driveways down the street before I fell. No speed bump. No excuse. Just clumsy, I think. I really have fallen a lot in my life. But this is now and I'm 61. I confirmed today that my bones are pretty good because I didn't break anything besides more skin. I skinned the same knee that I skinned yesterday, so that knee is really angry with me. I skinned both hands, again, so my hands and knee are starting to look a lot like raw hamburger meat. This time I hit my bottom lip and chin on the street, too, so I look like I've been whipped. (Don might have wanted to when I came in all bloody, again, but he helped me to clean up with peroxide and silver water.) So, I also confirmed that I don't have Alzheimer's because I attempted to catch my fall. I also learned that my teeth must be pretty good, since I didn't chip any. Also, I noted that they were knocked a bit awry, but they've already shifted back into place. (I wear those bands on my teeth every other night to keep the gaps closed. It frustrates me that my teeth won't stay where I put them, but, now, I'm glad they don't because I put them really wacky for a while today. So, I learned that I am glad my teeth move back into position, and I'm glad I can close the gaps with bands every other night.) I also scraped my chest and my belly; I guess it's a good thing I have some fat on my chest and belly or I might have broken a rib. Whew. I'm glad I got some use out of it before I lose it. Ha!

So, I'm all stove up; my body is really hacked about the treatment it's been getting lately. First I jogged and now I'm crashing. I jogged on purpose and gave that up readily. I'm willing to give up this falling, but, I think I can't be trusted. I think I will only get to walk on the treadmill when Don isn't going with me. I give thanks for the treadmill. I give BIG thanks for falls that only hurt, not tragic falls! God is really good to me! Maybe Don will let me walk if I promise to use the cane for balance and quit swinging it for exercise? We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. I only have one question for you MaryJo....Was the first thing you did look all around to see if anyone saw you? I know that what I always do when I fall. I'm so sorry, that sounds like a really bad one. My first thought was, she better not mess up that trip to Hawaii. Good luck and be careful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh. So, I fell AGAIN the very next day. You're so right: I'd better not mess up that trip to Hawaii! I'd better not mess up any more skin, either. This is getting crazy. I'm taking a break from walking while we travel a couple of weeks. I should be healed when we get back.

    The first thing I did was look to see who tripped me. The speed bump. Ugh. Then the next day when I fell the first thing I did was reach for a kleenex to wipe the blood. I really never cared if anyone saw me; after being bald and flat chested I really got over anyone looking at me. I used to look to see if anyone saw me, now I look to see if there's anything else I can get done while I'm already down there. Just kidding! I'm a reformed walker: I will only walk using my cane to BALANCE (no raising cane) or holding Don's hand.

    Love you!

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete