Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Breath taking moments!



What an exciting day! I got up at 6 to drink my first dose of Essiac tea and went first to the window to check on the birds. On my way to the window I glanced at the magnolia bloom and it looked about like it did yesterday, which I still loved. Of course I saw nothing when I spied on the birds, so I drank my tea and went back to bed. Then we got up at 8 and I went straight to the window. I glanced at the magnolia and, “LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS YOU TAKE BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY.” It was one of THOSE MOMENTS!!! In the two hours since I’d looked at it, it was fully open. It is so gorgeous. (Dana, it’s not as perfect as the picture you sent, but it’s on my dining room table, so I think it’s perfect!) I took a picture and it’s on the blog today!


We went walking and I was able to catch a shot of a heron that we get to see a lot. I’ll put her on tomorrow’s blog. More breath taking moments!

Today, the Lady bird was off the nest, so I talked Don into opening the door and taking a peek into the nest. He said, ”I think one has hatched.” He just took a quick look because we didn’t want her to abandon the nest because we were looking. Of course we’ve beat a trail to the dining room window going there so much today. We’ve seen the male feeding the female several times. Then we see her sitting there bobbing her head up and down into the nest, so we figure he’s bringing food to her and then she feeds it to the babies. There are at least 2 other female purple finches that are feeding on the seed, finally. There are a host of sparrows out there making a mess, too. One time I watched the male down there feeding off the fallen seeds and then he flew up to the nest, but then flew away. I couldn’t stand it. No bird was on the nest, so I took my stool to the front door, opened it and climbed up and took a picture. Of course I’m still not tall enough to look into the nest, so I have to hold the camera up and shoot. I got several no good pictures, but I got this one that is good, but I still can’t tell too much about it. It looks to me like all of them except one have hatched. I can’t identify 4 birds, but I can identify one egg and I can subtract. There were 5 eggs and there is only 1 left, so there must be 4 birds. It’s really all a bunch of pink skin and fluff. I sure hope she doesn’t get mad and not come back to the nest. She let me take a picture of the eggs; surely she will let me take that picture of the babies. Anyway, it was exciting. I’ll feel bad if she never comes back! I’m not going to do that anymore; it’s too nerve racking! If they get big enough to stick their head up over the nest, then I’ll take a picture from the driveway. Good grief; I thought we owned that door, but I guess THEY own it because they sure have taken control of it!






God amazes me every day! Tomorrow we are going to the reserve to hike. Dorothy and David are going with us. They are taking lawn chairs and will sit and enjoy nature while we hike. Then we’re all going to picnic for lunch. That’ll be another day of breath taking moments; I’m excited about tomorrow, too. Our cup over runs and we give thanks!




4 comments:

  1. Very cool birdie pics and great magnolia, too! What fun!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. MaryJo...loved the magnolia pictures..they are beautiful. Also love your background on your love of the trees. Thanks for taking the bird pictures for us...I think the mom will be just fine with you doing it. Shes a proud mom..can't wait to see more. Thanks...Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man! Trish, the reserve was awesome today. It just keeps getting better and better! I sent Gabe a bunch of lizard pictures; thought of him all day!

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, thanks so much for enjoying the background. I have a hard time holding back on the background, so it relieves me when someone appreciates it. The magnolia bloom is wilting today, but we made up for it at the reserve. I'm going to send you sneak previews of the pictures we took today because I know you can't wait! Love you! Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete