Monday, May 28, 2007

Humbled today.




Don took me ‘kicking and screaming into today.’ AGAIN, he was right and I was wrong. It turned out to be a great day! On the way there, he suggested maybe I should just go home because it was pretty obvious I didn’t feel good. I felt fine. I just had an attitude because I wasn’t expecting to enjoy today. I couldn’t seem to figure out how I was going to get all my meds taken, etc. It became a big logistics and mathematical problem to me, and I was ‘suffering’ it just so I could go to the square and go to an art show when my goal is to down size and not buy anything and watch a parade when I can never see a parade because the world is taller than me and standing in front of me.

My number one goal in life is to please God, but I thought I could do that just as well from home. My next goal is to please Don, so I wanted to go wherever he wanted to go; but, then there was the parade and I hate parades. UGH. When he suggested I go home, I figured I’d better ditch the attitude because if he’d rather go by himself I must be flunking at the pleasing him goal. So, we went to the square and had a great time! It was not our regular Arts on the Square that we have every year, but it was the town’s Centennial celebration. There was a dead tree on the square and they had a guy here a couple of weeks ago that carved that tree into a statue of the Indian Chief Lonewolf with chain saws! There is a picture of it on the blog today; it’s AWESOME. We saw LOTS of people who we don’t see often, so that was fun, too. There was beautiful art displayed and some great art from kids. I was marveling at some by a kid named Shea Furgeson; the name sounded familiar, but I couldn’t figure why. Then a lean guy says, “I drew that,” which I was admiring. He was such a nice kid, and we struck up a conversation with him. Turns out he is 16 and plays football, basketball and baseball, which we’ve watched, but I just didn’t recognize him out of uniform. It was very refreshing to meet such a nice kid with a great talent, even though he’s not one of my grandkids. I’m certainly a fan of his and will enjoy watching his progress in all the sports, as well as enjoy his art next year on the square.

It turned out that I found a position for the parade where I could SEE for the first time in my life. I really prayed that God would make it rain today or make some way for me to miss the parade. Instead He made a way for me to see the parade. There were lots of people in the parade that I knew and it was way fun to see them! God is so amazing; I thank Him for being in control so that I don’t mess up everything!

We kept finding David and Dorothy, our good friends, and ended up having lunch with them at the Mexican restaurant. Then we met up with them again this evening for the entertainment with awesome local talent at the football stadium. General Tommy Franks spoke twice today. Once was at the dedication of the mosaic on the square which is really awesome. I didn’t take a picture because there were lots of people on it. Maybe I’ll get one soon and put it on the blog. He spoke again tonight, and I love that guy, so I would have missed his speeches if I’d wormed out of today. God knew I needed to hear him. How lucky are we to have a 4 star general retire and move to the Hobart area? He built a house on his wife’s family ranch a few miles out from town; the street where our house is was named after his mother-in-law (Gaynelle), because this land all used to belong to her father. He is such a down to earth guy and I sure like the way he thinks, so it was refreshing to me to get to hear him twice. I took pictures of him speaking on the square and included them on the blog today.

I’m thanking God for taking care of me even when I’m fighting; and for giving me a wonderful husband who loves me anyway; and for people in my life who love me enough to read my ups and downs and love me anyway.


4 comments:

  1. Oh Jo, thanks so much for sharing yesterday with us and letting us see how God once again turned "miseries" into "blessings"!
    I'm so glad, 'Little One' you got out of His way and were able to enjoy all the happenings around you; including the parade!! You are so awesome, and I love you so much! Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's God who is awesome; I'm amazed how He carries me through. Yesterday was such a delight and I would have missed it if I'd had my way. Just more proof that my way is not the right way; I need to always trust in God. Thanks for "going with me." I feel your leadership lots. I remember as a kid thinking, "What would Ruthie do?" or "How would Ruthie fix this?" I'm sure I do that lots now, too. Love you and need you, MJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a pretty fun day! Did they give away the quilt?? Who won???

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. They had the quilt on display, but they aren't giving it away until October. It's getting lots of viewing! Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete