Tuesday, May 8, 2007

I'm so proud of the mother bird!
























We’ve had storms tonight and I had the computer unplugged until now, so I’ll write a quick note. We’re fine and the storms are all east of us. I can still hear the thunder rumbling, but we can go to bed, now. I hope and pray the rest of the state gets off easy.

Today I did research on my little bird family and learned that the incubation period is 13 days. Then the babies will stay in the nest for 14 days. That means we should get to see a lot of fun stuff. I’m so proud of the little mother; she is so diligent with her eggs! Tomorrow I’m going to buy some birdseed and hang a feeder out on the front porch for her. We had one hanging there a couple of years ago but we took it down because they made such a mess. I’ll be okay with the mess because I’m so glad she’s back! I also learned today that these birds live an average of 3 or 4 years and sometimes as long as 8 years. I had no idea! That’s why she’s nesting out there; she must be the one who nested here before! I think she’s pretty smart, too, because on the porch she has to worry with us using the door, but she doesn’t have to worry with the wind and the rain. We may be rough with the door, but we are nothing like the wind out here! So, that’s the bird story.

Today’s picture on the blog is of a purple larkspur in the yard. You may have noticed some in one of the pictures yesterday. I love them in the garden for a spike of color. I like to bring them in and use them in arrangements in the house, but they fall and make a mess, so I don’t bring them inside much. The hummingbirds like them outside, too.

I worked in the yard today cutting off daffodil greens and pulling weeds, but I didn’t get new pictures. The larkspur I got the other day. Today I was hurrying to get what I could before the rains came. I hope I can get new pictures tomorrow.

Count the blessings! God is so good!!! He blesses us all!

4 comments:

  1. Ya know...i really enjoy this bird conversation...but it would really, really help me to know just what kind of bird this is. I'm thinking wren, cause they are the ones that usually build their nests in strange places like this. You have any idea MaryJo. I'm dying to know. I would be glad to send you identification pictures if necessary..lol. dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, you make so many happy and especially me! I wish I could put in words how I do enjoy your updates and pictures. I think that the Mother bird and nest of 5 egges is just great! We love our birds and to think they feel the safety to build right where you are in and out. We had one once in Hammond to build in the globe over the light at the front door and didn't know it and turned the light on once and smeled something burning and found it smoking. Frazier taped the switch so no one could turn it on and we had baby birds there. We Love our birds. I enjoy so much the Lavendar Wand you sent me by your Sweet Sister. I have it sitting in her where I spend a lot of time and it has such a sweet fragrance!! Thank you so much. Thanks for all. You say it all when you say, God is so Good and He blesses us all! With Love and Prayers
    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, it's a purple finch. She's a dear! I put a feeder out for her today so she won't have to go far from the nest to eat. Then it'll be close when the babies hatch. I'm glad you're enjoying "Lady Bird" with me!

    Love you,

    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dot, you're going to love today's blog. I'm going to take a picture of the feeder I put out on the front porch for "Lady Bird." I'm so honored that she came here and trusts us. I'm honored that you keep coming back to keep an eye on us and the trivia in our lives, too. Hope you and Frazier are doing well. Keep sniffing that lavender; it's relaxing.

    Love you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete