Friday, November 23, 2007

Freezing from the inside; chemo thermostat!

I am going through a freezing state, again. Don even changed our thermostats so that it’s warmer in the house, but I’m still freezing. I’m wearing 4 hats (two pink sleep hats and a white baseball cap and a pink one); long sleeves; long pants; a flannel lined jacket and a corn buddy around my neck. I’m still freezing. It just comes from within, I think. Last night I couldn’t get warm and it continued today. When I sit or lay down I have two rice buddies I drape around me, too. It makes it possible, but I never get warm. God has a way of making me appreciate things, like a warm house and a microwave to warm my buddies.

The picture on the blog today shows the last of the rebloomers. I cut these Wednesday before we had our first freeze. Whatever stalks were out there, I cut and brought inside; I hope most of them will open. I’m patient and will wait on them. I think it’s such a blessing to have fresh cut flowers from the yard after Thanksgiving!!! God is so extravagant with His goodness and blessings to us.

Last night was a tough night for me. Nothing seemed to work right. I was freezing and couldn’t get warm. I got so inspired with eating great food yesterday that I forgot to take my Gabapentin for the neuropathy. What a mistake. I went to bed and the pains started shooting. I hadn’t had many of those in a while, so it reminded me that I hadn’t taken my pills. UGH. I paid the price. I wasn’t sleepy for some reason and the freezing and pains in my toes and fingers didn’t help. My left big toe was throbbing like I’d dropped a brick on it. The nails are getting so thick; I keep thinking the covers will pull the nails off of those big toes. Yesterday my head started feeling really sore, but it was just on top of my head. When I lay down in bed last night I realized it had moved down to my neck, so I couldn’t sleep on my back because it hurt my head. It’s not like a headache. It’s like my head is sunburned; it only hurts to touch it. It reminds me of how sore my head was when I was losing my hair. I don’t have any hair to lose, but maybe it’s the same sort of thing? It’s funny; all the hair that was left on my body is nearly gone. I have a few hanging onto my arms and a few straggling eyebrows and lashes . . . precious few! I don’t even have any peach fuzz left on my face; I’ve had peach fuzz ever since I can remember, so this is so strange! I really feel like a generic person and will be very glad to have some hair return to my body. I hope I remember to never complain about shaving or hair again! I got out of bed at 12:30 and sat up until around 4:30 when I finally fell asleep in Don’s recliner. At 6:30 I woke up and got into bed and slept until 8. I got a nap for an hour and a half today. I hope I’ll sleep like a brick tonight. I DID NOT forget my Gabapentin!

I know many of you have family with you or you are with them. Enjoy every moment and join me in thanking God for family and friends!

4 comments:

  1. HiJo~~I'm so sorry you are so cold and can't get warm! I'm the opposite; trying to convince Phil the house needs to be cool for us to sleep well!! I hope you feel as good as you look in the picture!! I've learned lots from you on this journey, but never realized in all our years what a good color pink is for you!! Keep your chin up and remember....just as you'll have hair again, you'll be warm again! Love you! Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel good! I'm learning to balance better so that I get plenty of rest and feel good the rest of the time. This freezing seems to come in cycles. I'm not like this every day. I'm cold, but not freezing from the inside out.

    It's funny how everyone says pink is good for me. I've always liked it, but seem to have lots besides pink. I'd better remember pink is the best.

    It'll be fun to have hair! Warm will be a blessing, too. I have the occassional hot flash, but then I go right back to freezing if I'm on the freeze cycle. It's pretty wild, but it could be so much worse!

    Thanks for writing! I love you lots!

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Jo,

    As we compatriots say, “Not that much further to go the end is in sight.” Well that’s at least what I try to say everyday or night when I’m sitting in the rocker at 4 a.m. in the morning. I stay cold especially at night when the heat is cut down. We helped that with a heating blanket but surprisingly that fails at times. I can even be seen wearing a sweater in summer time here in South Carolina.

    Oh, and Mary Jo, you have always looked good in pink – remember the “OLD” days…

    Love,

    Gene…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Gene, you are too kind. I DO remember the "OLD" days, but I don't remember so much wearing pink. I was probably blushing all the time and that's the pink you remember. I blush easily, still; it's embarassing!

    I wondered the other night who of my night owl friends were up 'with' me. The good thing about being up in the middle of the night is the quiet. I like that, but there are lots of creaking and popping sounds that I miss during the day. It's another interesting thing.

    I like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, too. If I can get this treatment behind me on Monday, then I'll have only one more. That has a nice ring to it.

    Love you, 'Sweaterman,'

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete