Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Happy Birthday, Ruthie, but I'm dragging!


Today is Ruthie’s birthday, so I hope it was a good day for her! It was a low down day for me. This morning I woke up at 3:30 sick, but I took a pill and haven’t had any more trouble. It was just a reminder that I had pills and was supposed to be taking them, I guess. Then the steroids kept me awake until 7:30 and I went back to bed. At 10, I woke up, but didn’t even feel like dressing. How much energy does that take? More than I had!

The chemo nurse called to ask if I was doing okay and I told her how tired I was and about the nausea. She said as long as the pills were working I was doing fine. The fatigue is normal. This is how the drugs work on me. As long as Don doesn’t mind me dragging around in my gown and robe and 3 hats, I’m okay, I guess. I put on the gown that Garrett said was so beautiful when he saw it. He said, “Grammy that gown is so beautiful; my mom must have given it to you.” It’s a gown I got at a yard sale! I thought that was such a sweet thought of his, though: if it was something beautiful then his mom must have given it to me. I guess she’s not only special to us, huh?

Anyway, I took another 2-hour nap this afternoon. The rest of the time I’ve been up, but barely got anything done; just dragging around. I did cut the irises that were showing color. I think they’ll open in the house and I’m afraid they’ll freeze if I leave them out. There are a few stalks out there with blooms, still, but they aren’t showing color, so I left them. This bouquet is for you, Ruthie. I’ll take more pictures tomorrow or the next day with they are open nice and pretty. I think they’re pretty even like this.

Oh, see that flush on my face? That’s the chemo, too. It makes me look healthy; nice twist, huh? The pump is lying on the table. It’s not quite as big and not nearly as heavy as the one I had in Houston, so I like it. Every two seconds it makes a sound like my camera shutting itself off or a cd ejecting from the computer. It’s kind of wild, but I’m used to it. I thank God for it and all the treatments, and for a big sister who has loved me all my life. How cool is that? She had to share a room with me until she was 17 and then she moved into the maid’s room to get some privacy. She loved me all that time, even though I must have been such a pest; I thought she was the coolest ever! (We lived in Japan then, and there was a little tiny room, barely bigger than a closet for the maid to stay in but our maid didn’t stay overnight, so Ruthie took that room. We weren’t what we’d think of as wealthy, but it was part of the way that the military was helping to put Japan back together: giving people jobs. We were expected to have maids. Our maids also made all our clothes. I have to admit I loved that!) There’s more for me to give thanks to our God: a wonderful experience to live 6 years of my life in Japan! We never thought we were wealthy, as we don’t now, but relative to most of the world we are wealthy! God gives us so much abundance. Imagine: irises blooming on November 6th! PTL! Thank you, Ruthie, for being in my whole life and for being a wonderful sister!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Jo! What a wonderful tribute for me on my birthday, and this is supposed to be all about YOU!! I appreciated all the kind things you said and loved the bouquet!! You know the "Nannie Kate" in me loves flowers!! I count the beauty of them and the inspiration you are to me among the many, many blessings from God!! (Maybe if I hadn't moved into the maid's room, I would have learned more from you a lot earlier!!) I'm so glad you have two treatments out of the way....if all goes well, you are half-way there! You take extra good care of yourself these next 3 weeks and keep those numbers up!!

    I love you!
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Aunt Ruthie! Mom is right - you are an extra special person.

    Mom, I'm so sorry you feel so bad! I wish I was just a little closer (and had a car!!!), but I guess it wouldn't be wise to risk bringing you any bugs. I'm so glad for the pics and updates on the blog. Technology is nice sometimes, eh?

    I love you and think of you all the time!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, Ruthie, there's no way this blog can be all about me. The whole of me consists of all that it takes to make me. You have been such a stong influence in my life that there is no way this could be about me without including you! Phil and Don know how much we are alike; some of that is genetic, but some of it I learned from you, I'm sure. And, if you hadn't moved into the maid's room one of us might not have survived. Ha! I don't know that either of us was in learning mode then. It was a peacemaking move on your part, I think.

    Yes, I'm half way done with this FAC! Today is much better; I hope I can hold this feeling! I'm going to be sure I get plenty of rest and eat good; that's all I can do to keep the numbers up. God will do the rest.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Trish! Yes, I miss you and sure would love to see the kids, but I think they are the last thing I need because they may be carrying a bug I sure don't need. I can hardly wait until this chemo phase is over. I'm so hoping that there won't be any more delays so that I can make the Branson trip!

    I sure hope you can get all your broken pieces put back together soon. Being without a car is a tough place to be when you have 6 kids to taxi!

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jo, I just love you and Ruthie praising each other and you both deserve it.Also Phil and Don. Sometime I wonder if we (or I really realize how well blessed we are to have such wonderful mates! Sometime it is good to stop and take an inventory!! That sounds sorta crazy! I can't believe your flowers bloomes out from one day till the next like they did. They are so beautiufl. We have some pretty ones at the other place but they haven't had any care for the last few years. Mom always had some of the prettiest ones and worked with them. Flowers were her life. Now I was so happy to read about your treatment. Ruthie, bless her sweet heart sent me an e-mail after she heard from you that you did get the treatment and you are well on your way. Just keep resting and eating good and staying away from people. Bugs are out everywhere. You have to be very careful. Gretta, you are such a Special Daughter and I know you would love to be with your Mom but you are so thoughtful and want he best for her. As she said next year she will be making it up for lost time!! Also for Jilly too. You have a Great Family!! Jane finally is here! She is a Great Daughter too. We thank God for her and Tom. God is so Good. Keep taking care.
    With Love and Prayers
    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dot, does this mean that Jane and Tom are there to stay, now? Woo hoo; that would be too cool!

    You're right we are so blessed with our mates and our family. Gretta and Trish are are such precious daughters; what I'd do without them I have no clue!

    Thanks for keeping up with us! We love you!

    Jo and Don

    ReplyDelete