Saturday, November 24, 2007

Gabe got a deer!

Today has been a good day. I feel pretty good and have rested, as well as gotten laundry half done. It’s done; just not all put where it goes. I’ll put it where it goes tomorrow. It’s been football around here all day. That Tennessee/Kentucky game was too much, but I’m proud that Tennessee finally won it in the 4th overtime!

Today was bandage change day, so that’s always an ‘event’ at this house. You know, we have to be so sterile, etc. Putting on the gloves, etc. is a big deal. The PICC line is a constant bother to me, and when we change the bandage I’m excited because the old bandage has become a burden because it is wrinkled and pulling my skin. At least I’m not allergic to this adhesive. It’s the 4th bandage we’ve used and I was allergic to the adhesive on all the others. The adhesive eats my skin and makes it blister and burn. This bandage bothers me, but it doesn’t eat the skin. I’m glad to have the PICC line so that they don’t have to dig for veins, but I’ll be really glad when it can be gone. It’s a constant probable location for infection, too, so we have to be very careful with it. I’m not complaining, but confiding one of the stress factors in my ‘de-stressed’ life. Ha! It’s kind of funny for this pack rat. We have to use a totally new kit for each bandage change and each kit comes with a little pair of scissors. So, we have over 20 pairs of scissors collected, now. Anybody need any scissors?

The greatest news today is that Gabe got his first deer today! He and Nate went hunting with Rob’s dad and Gabe got a buck. It has 6 points on his rack; he would have had 10 except he had an accident or something and broke some, evidently. I’m very happy for Gabe! Nate got sick, so he’s at the lease feeling bad. If he feels better tomorrow he’ll go out and see what he can do. Gabe’s deer will provide them with about 80 pounds of meat. Gabe will love that. He loves to cook, so he’ll be fixing some good meals for the family I imagine. I’m sure glad that Rob’s dad likes to do this stuff; what a great experience for the boys! I hope they get a picture of Gabe with the deer; if I get one, I’ll be sure to put it onto the blog.

The picture on the blog tonight is me ready for bed with my flowers that are opening. I am really enjoying them. I thank God for keeping the boys safe as they hunt. I pray that Nate is better tomorrow and that they have a safe trip home. I thank God for a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend for all our families and for health and happiness. What more could we ask? To Him be the glory!


4 comments:

  1. I'll take some scissors! In fact, I bet I can find folks who can use any you don't want to keep. Are they small? Quilters like to have small scissors to tuck away in portable projects, so whatever you don't want to keep I can take to quilt guild and I bet they will love them!

    You always look so good in all the pictures. I know there are so many challenges to your treatment and that you really don't feel good. It sure makes me feel good to see you looking so good in the pics. Thanks for sharing with us!

    I'm sure we'll get some kind of pics of the hunt. I may have to scan them in, so it may take some time to get that done. I'll share with you as soon as we get some!

    Love,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good deal! I'll offer some of them to Diana and Hazel and their quilting buddies here and save some for you, too. They're just little scissors so they won't do material very well, but they'll do thread!

    Ha! Dad thinks it's so funny that I have him take 3 or 4 pictures all the time, but I have to CHOOSE the best one. Half of the time my eyes are closed; sometimes I'm cocking an eyebrow at something he's asking me. He has to do something goofy to get a good smile from me. We work hard at getting a good picture. Sometimes I don't feel as good as I look, but I like to put up the best front I can and still be honest. :) I don't usually feel all that bad, and some days are better than others. I think I feel the best toward the end of the weeks when I'm ready for another treatments. Then they knock me flat with the chemo. I think that's how it works. My thinking is not so clear, so who really knows. Dad is probably thinking straight, but he doesn't type. Ha!

    We can hardly wait for some picture of Gabe with his deer, I hope. I know you are so busy, so we can wait. Waiting is a good exercise, I'm sure. I forget why. :)

    Love and miss you all,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Gabe-O!!! I am finally getting caught up on the blog after being in Lexington! We are home and Elena feels better, I have got her crud now though! UGH! It's funny, I was reading how you are losing toenails and fingernails....I'm not losing any fingernails, but I totally smashed my toes over the summer and finally lost two of the toenails this weekend! So even though I can't be in the bald club with you and Joe, we can have our own "nailless" club!

    Love you mom! Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm; nailless club. I wish I knew what to expect. Did your's hurt before they came off? Maybe mine are hurting because of the neuropathy. It's an unknown to me, so it's kind of freaking me. If you've lost two, that gives me hope that it won't be so bad.

    You can be in the club with Dad, Elena and Garrett for people who love the baldies. HA!

    Glad you're home safe and sound. Hope you feel better soon!

    Love and miss you all,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete