Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Results of last appointments before surgery!



The pictures on the blog today are last night when Heather brought Luke over to give us our grandkid fix. Heather is Doris and Jerry’s daughter-in-law and Luke is their grandson who they keep a day or two a week. Luke has been here lots when we’ve been here, so we’re so hooked on him. It was sure fun to get to see Heather and Luke for a while!

The rest of what needs to be on the blog today are the results from my appointments today. Here goes:

1) My numbers are still good, so I can get out of the car and eat on the way home. J They tend to hit the bottom on day 10 and that won’t be until Thursday.
2) My tumor is still shrinking. It had shrunken by 96% last month when we were here. It has shrunken another 50% now. That means that it has shrunken 98% since the beginning of chemo. That’s really good.
3) My surgery is scheduled for January 28th. I’ll have to be here the 24th for pre-op ‘stuff.’
4) My surgery will consist of removing both breasts.
5) Radiation will begin as soon as the drains can be removed: 3-5 weeks after the surgery.
6) I can’t do the reconstruction that I prefer (tram flap) until 6-12 months AFTER the radiation, so I will be flat chested all next year and will hope to have the reconstruction around Thanksgiving or Christmas. It’ll take me 6 weeks to recover from it, so I won’t be back to ‘normal’ as soon as I’d hoped. I can adjust; I’m getting good at adjusting. (I keep telling Don that, but he’s not convinced.)

I think that’s what came out of today’s appointments. I liked the surgeon and the radiation oncologist very much, so that’s a good thing.

I believe that God leads us, directs us, and protects us. I thank Him for all that and ask Him to continue it. I trust His will and His plan. Thank you so much for caring enough to hang tough with this blog. I know I get so wordy and it’s hard to stick with me, so THANKS! I love you for looking and love you for posting if you’re one who posts. If you don’t post, that’s okay, too; I feel you out there. God bless!

4 comments:

  1. This is Patty and I didn't mean to be anonymous and make you wonder who was writing, I'm just forgetful! I meant every word I said. Your ability to be thankful through all this speaks volumes about the faithfulness of God. You are letting God use you during a very difficult time. When I read your blog, I see Jesus in you!It doesn't get any better than that! You are reminding us all that God is with us in the good times as well as the bad. Your body may be frail right now but you are strong in the things that matter most and I am thanful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jo, I have been restraining myself not to send a comment till I know all is going well with you!! GOD is so Good!!! I just can't believe how you can keep in touch going through all you are but you are strong in Faith and that counts for you being so Positive!! I know you are so anxious for this to all be behind you but glad you trust the Doctors to do what they think best. Just so Thankful that things can be done and that The Dr. knows best! Oh I just ramble on and on. That is just my style. ha I love all the pictures and the ones of Rayne are just, Well No words to describe her Beauty and the Beautiful big blue eyes. Also Garret and Grace and Don and is it Rayne he is holding? You look Beautiful too. Just a note to let you know Jane is here!! She and her husband moved her here last Sunday a week ago. We are so Thankful for her. Take care and know our thoughts and Prayers are with you all!!!
    We Love You
    Dot and Frazier and Jane too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty, you are the best! Thank you for forgetting with me; it's chemo brain and I love it that you're sharing it with me.

    I am so thankful for the internet that allows us to hang together through all times. This is maybe the biggest health challenge I've had, but it may be the best time I've ever had in terms of feeling loved by people and God. It really feels so good that He is giving me so much wonderful support from people who love me. That tells me AGAIN that He loves me! He gave His son, and He shares a wonderful family with me through His children. I love it!

    Thanks for writing to identify yourself. I might have known! :)

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Dot; never restrain yourself! I am always doing well. However I'm doing is exactly how God wants it to be and I'm good with that; you can be, too. Don't ever feel that you are treading on thin ice. Some days I feel better than others, but I'll get better and better.

    It feels good to have a date for the surgery. That means I'm getting close to having this PICC line gone. It's a blessing because it gives them ready access to my veins without having to use me for a pin cushion. It'll be so nice to be free of it and I can be after the surgery, I think. That's a blessing to count. I count the PICC line as a blessing, but it being gone will be another blessing. :)

    Whatever happens I will find the silver lining. It makes everything so much easier to handle. I love counting blessings. It's so much easier to thank God than to question Him; man, I'm so happy to revel in His blessings and praise Him all the way.

    Dot, I know you're so thrilled to have Jane and Tom there! I'm thrilled for you all! Enjoy every moment!

    Love you,

    Jo (I've been accused of being a Pollyanna, and that's okay with me.)

    ReplyDelete