Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I'm on my soapbox, but doing fine.





Chemo must be TOUGH on me! It's tough on the cancer, so it makes sense. I had Don take pictures of me today to compare to when I gave up on the last wisps of hair and buzzed my head. That's the picture where I'm wearing a white t-shirt. In my red 'blanket' I look a decade older! I thought it would be cool to admit I have no eyebrows or lashes. Man, pale as they were they sure helped. I'm going to look great in April or May when I have hair, eyebrows and lashes. I'm even going to wear some mascara. Poor Don is living with this old lady! It's going to be fun to look alive, again! I'll never resent the time it takes to look better!

Now, to my soapbox: I have a Japanese friend who is living in China because her husband’s work is there. She was not able to access my blog and a friend explained to her that the Chinese government doesn’t allow people to access blogs. I was astounded that my blog is censored! How dangerous could my blog be???

YIKES! It really freaks me that a thing as simple as my blog could be censored! I could never have survived when we moved to Hobart and would never have stayed this long if it weren’t for the Internet. It allows me to keep up with people I love who would never be close to Hobart, not to mention family! I so needed the support of an online support group when we were facing Alzheimer’s with Don’s dad, a whole new experience for us! I know there are so many freedoms that we take for granted and that makes me ashamed.

Today a friend sent this note about Red Fridays. I’ve been wearing red on Fridays for several years, but maybe you wonder why. The explanation is below. I thought it was so timely that it came today when I have been so reminded of the many freedoms that we take for granted. I don’t mean to be making a political statement here. I am making a statement in support of our troops. The piece below says we should wear red shirts until all our troops come home; I WILL WEAR RED ON FRIDAYS AS LONG AS I LIVE because as long as I live I will be reaping the benefits of freedoms for which my dad, my brother, my brother-in-law, my nephew and countless friends and loved ones have worked (and some have died in the pursuit thereof). Think about it.

So, I am on a soapbox today. I’m doing very well; feel pretty good and looking forward to a treatment on Monday. God bless America! I thank Him for our troops, for all of you who join me in supporting them, and for the opportunity to heal and return to good health, soon.

Red Fridays. Americans who support our troops used to be called the "silent majority." We are no longer silent, and are voicing our love for God, country and home in record-breaking numbers. We are not organized, boisterous or overbearing.Many Americans, like me, simply want to recognize that the vast majority of America supports our troops. Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect starts this Friday -- and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home, sending a deafening message that every red-blooded American who supports our men and women afar, will wear something red.By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make the United States on every Friday a sea of red much like a homecoming football game in the bleachers. If every one of us who loves this country will share this with acquaintances, coworkers, friends, and family, it will not be long before the USA is covered in RED and it will let our troops know the once "silent" majority is on their side more than ever, certainly more than the media implies.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    I don't think you look nearly as bad as you think you do - I think you look great! You're still the baby grammy! When all your treatments are said and done I bet you will look better than ever, even without mascara and all that. That stuff causes cancer, you know!

    Love,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree MaryJo....you are being too tuff on yourself. You are alive, kicking and screaming and fighting cancer. You look beautiful to me.
    So I should stop wearing mascara....DUH...I think not. dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish, I put the best picture on the blog. Dad took 4 and I thought they were all too bad, so I had him take 3 more. They were the same. A couple I had my eyes closed, but the rest looked a hundred years old. I shuddered when I looked at them! At least I was smiling, but my eyes look so tired!

    I didn't know mascara causes cancer. I'll have to research that. It could be why I have cancer because I'm sure I used more than my share over my lifetime. Remember I used to sleep in it, and I wore it every day of life unless I was going to the beach or something. I sure want to wear it again, but I don't have to. I think God will give me lashes again; they'll probably be light, but maybe He'll give me black ones! Ha! That would be a hoot!

    Love you,

    Mom (Baby Grammy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana . . . I don't know about wearing mascara or stopping it. I'll have to research that. I just know I'll be glad to have something to put the mascara onto or not!

    Thanks for your encouraging words and your great sense of humor. You're right: alive, kicking, screaming, and fighting. Ha! That's me. I'm not taking any of this laying down (except for the occasional nap)! I may need another nap or two to help me look better. I think the hats may help more than just keeping me warm!

    Love you gobs and heaps,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete