Monday, November 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Gretta! Treatment? YES!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GRETTA JILLY! I talked to Gretta this morning to wish her a happy birthday and she said Elena was in a sort of crabby mood. I told her to pick her up and love her because before she turns around good she’ll be 35 and she won’t get to hug her hardly ever! Time sure flies when you’re having fun. I’ve found that it flies even when you’re not having fun, too! Gretta has been a delight to us her whole life and for some of those years she had us scared to death as well, but we all survived and are all the wiser for it. I thank God for her and the blessings she brings to our lives with her sweet family.

Today Don and I were talking at breakfast about how many young women get breast cancer. It’s really a different picture for them because it affects their ability to have children for starters. We agreed that having children isn’t the end of the world; I mentioned that it could save a lady lots of trying times and heartaches if she never had children. Don said, then, that she would miss lots of joys, though, and the joys way overwhelm the heartaches. He said, of course he’s not prejudiced; nothing to do with that we had such good kids. He’s so right. Our kids gave us WAY more joys than heartaches, and STILL DO! We are so blessed and give so much thanks to God for them and their children! How blessed can two people be? We thank Him so much!

For Gretta’s birthday I got to get my treatment today! My numbers were ALL up and really good. Even one was HIGH! It wasn’t a number that has anything to do with chemo, so it didn’t matter. We were so pleased to get to do the treatment! I have the pump continuing my treatment through Thursday. Thursday we’ll go back to Lawton to have me disconnected from the pump and then I’ll be free! This time we’ll have my blood checked each week between treatments, so we’ll have a clue how things are going. I’m just so grateful to have this one behind us. I pray that I’ll make it through this week well.

The first picture on the blog is me talking on the phone when we got home. You can see the pump around my waist. It’s smaller and lighter than the one I had in Houston. My eyes are nearly closed, but it’s better than the other shots where they were completely closed. The second picture is one Don got of me in the kitchen; lucky my eyes were open; I’m so tired. I’d go to bed but I want to watch Dancing With the Stars. I’m going to bed right after that.

Thanks for looking. You are among my special blessings. Love your kids and grandkids every possible moment! God likes us to love one another.

2 comments:

  1. You sure have a way of making me feel pretty special! I LOVE YOU GUYS! YOU ARE THE BEST PARENTS EVER!

    JILLY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gretta, we can only make you feel special because you ARE! You make us feel so special! You really are special and have always been such a delight! It makes my day to find a post from you or find pictures or even a note in my email. I know you're busy and don't always have time; that's okay because I know you're doing the important things like bathing Elena all over the kitchen or getting Garrett off to school. These years are so busy, but they are worth it. Enjoy all you can and catch come rest when you can; that's a good 4 letter word. Don't worry about the work; it'll be there when you get back, but you can never catch up on the rest. Your body needs it.

    I love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete