Saturday, November 17, 2007

Memories of hair and a wonderful visit.


Today I’ve felt good again. EXCEPT, a couple of days ago I woke up with a bloodshot eye (research tells me that fatigue can cause that and it’s not dangerous but may take 10-14 days to disappear) and a sore ankle. The ankle seems to have a spider sort of vein on the inside and is swollen. It’s very sore and feels better when I keep it up. That makes it hard to be at the computer. So, I’ll make this short.

The pictures on the blog tonight are one of me snuggling under Diana’s quilt and one of Don and I on the last day that I had wispy hair. Ruthie and Phil took this picture the day they left and I shaved my head that day. Ruthie just sent it tonight, so it’s kind of an interesting shot since I haven’t had hair for so long (nearly 3 months, now).

My flowers are still beautiful. I’m so blessed! I really feel pretty good to be 4 months into chemotherapy. I am so grateful that the tumor is shrinking (98% is awesome!). I’m very pleased to have a plan in place for the rest of my treatment. It feels good to me. I thank God for being in control and I trust Him to drive my treatments and have His will in my life.

This Monday I will go to the hospital here in town to have my blood tested to see how my numbers are going. I sure hope they look good. If how I feel means anything then I think they’ll be good. I feel good except for this ankle. So many way worse things could be happening, so I’m grateful! God blesses us all; let’s give thanks every day and not just on Thanksgiving Day. But, enjoy Thanksgiving Day with families if possible!

4 comments:

  1. Mary Jo,

    You and Don have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Don looks so good in the picture. I have been so reluctant to have my picture taken with me in it since my illness. It is hard to look at a former 170-pound college place-kicker now reduced to a 132 pound shriveled old man.

    If you want to see the old bird go to http:// www.chitheds.shutterfly.com – don’t worry about the Chitheds name, it is a long, long, story within our social group and always brings us many laughs, as we get older. We went to Edisto Beach in October just before I became seriously ill again. I’m the only one in the sweater…

    Always remember that our prayers are with you and Don and that God sends his angels as our true and trusty servants.

    Love Gene…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene, thanks for the tour of Edisto Beach. It was a treat for this old shut-in! It was an even bigger treat to catch a few glimpses of you and I guess that's Jane snuggling the dog? You look like a wonderful 'old bird' to me and I love Jane's hair. Well everyone's hair looked great; I'm really into hair these days! Ha!

    You are so right about God sending His angels as our true and trusty servants. That has been such a blessing to me through this breast cancer experience. I am so wisened to God's presence in our lives through His servants. You are one to me. It's been so good to commune with you through this blog and emails and even that sweet phone call you made one day. What a surprise that was!

    We are going to have a quiet Thanksgiving here with just the two of us. We could think of that as lonely because there is always someone here, but we aren't lonely when we are together. We are blessed with a relationship that makes life fun together. We will enjoy a very grateful holiday and look forward to times when we can 'weather' the 'bugs' people carry.

    You and Jane have a wonderful Thanksgiving. We give thanks for every day, don't we!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVE that quilt! I really wish I had the time and good creativity to make those! I did good when I was younger, but I just don't have the patience anymore!

    I love you mom! I hope your numbers are good tomorrow!

    xoxo Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you sweet Jilly! I know you will love this quilt. I'm bringing it to Branson to show you. Every square inch is so cute.

    You have the patience of a SAINT! You have a 11 year old and a 1 year old (nearly), two dogs, and two cats and a horse trainer! Don't tell me you don't have patience. Maybe you don't have TIME! When the kids are grown you'll have time. I don't think Diana did any quilting when she still had family at home.

    Retirement has it's benefits! Time is one. We don't have youth on our side, but we have some time to enjoy doing things we like . . . and recovery. HA!

    I'll report my numbers tomorrow.

    I was thinking of you and Garrett tonight as I made the cornbread and chopped onions and celery for the dressing this week. I'll mix it up tomorrow. I have to do things bit at a time, so there are no big jobs. Big jobs I'll do NEXT year. Maybe I'll learn that THIS is the way to do things and survive and enjoy it more!

    Love you heaps and gobs,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete