Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Birthday, Gabe!

Today is our Gabe’s 13th birthday. All day I’ve thought of the day he was born 13 years ago. That was such an exciting day! Those 13 years have flown. He was a little kid, but at 13 he’s just not a little kid anymore. The picture on the blog today is Gabe back in June of this year when we were at the Fox family reunion.

Today Don and I were watching Dr. Phil when the doorbell rang. We were surprised to find Davy and Bruce at the door! What a fun surprise. They visited for a while before they left to head on to Susan’s parent’s house for TG tomorrow. Their visit made our day!

Today I’ve felt pretty good, still. I keep hoping that it’s a sign that my numbers are moving into the position where they should be. My fingers and toes continue to feel better. I think the neuropathy is improving. Davy looked at my toenails and fingernails and he thinks they look like they’ll come off, too. He’s lost toenails before, so he’s a pro. I’m keeping them trimmed real short so they won’t get caught on something. From what I read on the Internet they’ll come off when the time is right.

I think my eyebrows and eyelashes are just about gone. This last round of chemo is getting what hair the Taxol left. It’s okay. I’m not complaining, but reporting how it is. Just two more treatments and then the hair will come back with gusto, I imagine. I haven’t missed shaving at all, so I’m going to enjoy the freedom from the razor while it lasts.

I hope only a few people have time to look at this blog tonight because they are all welcoming family or joining family. Family is such a great blessing. Let’s all give a huge thanks tomorrow for our family and our health and safe travels. God bless and Happy Birthday, Gabe!


4 comments:

  1. Never too busy to check on your blog and hear your latest news! We just finished watching a woman's story about her bout with breast cancer. I'm so glad Phil found it, and we could visulize more what you are going through.(She reminded me of you as she declared she hates the bras and was enjoying her life without the "girls"!) I'm glad you had surprise visitors today to add to your long list of blessings to start off your Thanksgiving holiday. Have a good one and remember we love you and will be thinking about you! Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo and Don,
    Happy Thanksgiving. We certainly have a lot to be thankful for this year--your positive attitude and success with treatment; Kailan's good health and wonderful, happy personality through her treatment phase; a new grandson who is healthy and happy; Gabe's birthday; Eleana's sweet pictures and smiles--I can't wait to meet her! All the grandkids who are such a blessing.

    God's continued blessing on you and yours! We will eat lots of turkey for you today!!

    Love ya,

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruthie, I'm thinking about you today as you have all the family there. I remember that year that we had Thanksgiving dinner at that house and David came all dressed up! WOW! He looks good grubby, but he sure cleans up good! Last night Don said, "We don't have to dress up for dinner tomorrow do we?" I laughed! We don't dress up for anything these days!

    This morning he asked, "Do we have to eat in the dining room?" Bless his heart. We're eating in the kitchen. I think I'll put on a table cloth just for fun. He doesn't like place mats because they 'limit' him to the space of the place mat. What a hoot.

    I wish I had seen the program you saw about the lady who went through breast cancer. It's good to have with whom to compare notes and I can't find much of that. I sort of feel like I'm building the road on what I can remember from Mom and Nolie. It works; they did GREAT. I think I will, too.

    You all have a great time and please hug all the cupie dolls for me. They all have that doll feature that comes from being loved so much, I believe. I'm part of the team that loves them so much, so please remember me to them.

    I love you all,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Donna, we sure have a lot for which to give thanks every day! So many things seem tough to us, but we grow so much through the experience. I know that Kailan's experience and example have made you all grow so much in character, because it has for me and I'm really so far removed. She's such an angel, as is Rene. I thank God for the strength he gives us and shows us how to use. Life is amazing, expecially when we take the time to enjoy and notice it. Cancer helps us do that, I think.

    Enjoy the turkey! We're having some, too. I made all of dinner ahead little at a time and stuck it into the freezer. We're having fresh gravy and everything else warmed. The dressing is baking and it smells like I did it all today.

    I think of your mom every time I cook big; she taught me a lot. We gained too much weight on 'her' bread, though, so we don't go there anymore! She and your dad live on in my heart and memories.

    Love you all,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete