Monday, November 12, 2007

Garrett honors us!



Today has turned into a really full day. I’ve had only to relax today, so that was good. Tonight Heather and Luke came over for a visit, so that was so nice! I have pictures of that visit to put on the blog tomorrow night with news from our doctor visits tomorrow.

Tonight the biggest news is that our Magazine Boy, Garrett, was able to attain his goal of being on the honor role for this grading period. We are so proud of him! He is as sharp as any tack, but he has a learning disability, which makes transferring something from his mind to paper very difficult and a slow process. Unfortunately, teachers usually want to see work on paper, so he is very challenged by school. We are so proud of him for even setting this goal and striving for it; to attain it is very exceptional and we are honored by his success! Way to go, Garrett!

The pictures on the blog tonight are of Garrett, his sister Elena celebrating her big brother’s success, and the beautiful flowers Doris has in ‘our bathroom.’ How blessed are we? I’ve called Garrett my Magazine Boy since he was born. He was the only baby I ever knew who could stick to a schedule and even seemed to feel comforted by it. He has always been polite and done his best to comply with all rules and requests, and so I called him my Magazine Boy. He has always loved school, and he catches on to all the work, but he has been so challenged to be able to ‘give the work’ back to the teachers at the speed they wanted and in the format they wanted. We thank God for helping him to hang tough and persevere until he could attain this goal. We thank God for Garrett’s baby sister who adores her big brother. We thank God for so many blessings for our family.

Tonight I especially ask God to give us courage through our appointments tomorrow and thank Him for giving this opportunity for my healing. Tomorrow we’ll make lots of decisions and we thank Him for direction and courage. Thank you for reading about us and our family.

4 comments:

  1. Garrett's ability to "hang tough and persevere" must run in your family. I know his Grandma sure sets a good example of those same traits! Children need good role models and that is exactly what you are. They not only "hear" when you talk of God's goodness but they get to "watch" you live it. Kids may not always understand the things we say but there is no misunderstanding how we act and how we live. I'm glad you share your faith with the rest of us too! Like Garrett, I am listening and learning from you. God bless you as you continue this journey you are on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for acknowledging Garrett. Remember, he gets his braces next week too!

    I'm sure that your appointments will go well tomorrow. Please, leave me an update when you have time. I tried to call twice today but the line wouldn't work??? Crazy phones!

    WE ALL LOVE YOU!
    JILLY, JOE, GARRETT, ELENA, TRAVERS, ASHLAND, BUTTERS, ALL....EVEN WEET WEET!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very kind post from some very anonymous person. You didn't sign it, so I'm wondering who it is; if you read this please let me know who wrote this. I feel like the kid who called into the Houston radio station (that I put on the site on the 9th). The guy told him he was wise and the kid said, 'Oh, I don't know about that; I've done some really stupid stuff.' (If you haven't listened to that, go back to the 9th and click on that link and listen; it's so worth it!)

    I sure pray that our grandkids see my faith as I live it, but I know I make lots of mistakes, too. I'm pretty strict and they may think I'm a Nazi Grammy because I won't let them eat or drink except in the kitchen and dining room . . . or because I want them to pick up what they strew and give them growly looks if they don't.

    I pray that they know I love them unconditionally as God loves us all. What a gift!

    You wrote such a nice thing. Others have called me a bulldog for hanging on so hard. Ha! It sounds better how you've said it. I might make a copy of this and frame it. I sure wish I knew who wrote it!

    With gritted teeth, a huge smile, and a prayerful attitute,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jilly and company,

    Yes, the appointments went well today. I'll put it all on the blog in a few minutes when I get through answering this.

    Garrett will pull off the braces event like a magazine boy, I know. I have every confidence in him.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete