Wednesday, October 8, 2008

These are the good old days; right now!


This is a new experience. I’m on my ‘new’ old computer and I’ve found the word processor, so, I’ll see how it works. In going through the pictures I managed to save in this recent computer crash I found this one from two years ago. It was taken of Don and I at his Hobart reunion, like the one we’re doing this weekend. This was just before I found my lump in November. Straight hair days; boob days. Ha! It's not the greatest quality, but you get the idea.

I saw an ad for a t-shirt today that said, “I survived breast cancer and this t-shirt is all I got!” I don’t feel that way at all. I have survived so far, but I feel like I’ve gotten a LOT from it. I don’t need the boobs, but I’ve got a couple of pairs of phony ones that work just fine and I can go flat chested whenever I want! I got curly hair out of the deal! I’ve learned to exercise like a maniac. I’ve learned to appreciate every single moment and even the tough times like when the computer crashes. I’ve lived to cuddle our two newest granddaughters and watch them walk and play. Most of all I’ve become aware of how many people really do love me. They loved me before, but I wasn’t so keenly aware of it. They’ve made it so obvious, now, though, and I am so blessed by that. So, I’m not buying that shirt. I thank God for all the blessings of this journey and I trust His timing.

This is Breast Cancer Awareness month, but be aware every day. I hope this blog will help someone to see the blessing in whatever happens in life. I believe there is something worthy of celebration in everything. I hope you won’t wait for something bad to happen to become aware of all the people who love you. Notice it now.

3 comments:

  1. Jo,

    Thanks so much for sharing your unplanned journedy down this road of living with breast cancer. You've shown us all how to appreciate every moment (I'm still learning...as the saying goes "God isn't finished with me yet!). The blog has been such a great way for you to share your experiences with us; however, your brother-in-law says to tell you he thinks you should write a book on this experience. Of course I've also suggested that and seems like others have. So get with it girl...you can do it, and I'll be the first in line for an autographed copy! Love you! Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Ruthie, thank you for such a sweet post. Tell Phil this IS the book. HA! Maybe someone will publish it. You two have been such great support; I'll never forget it.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a great looking couple of youngsters. dana
    You both are very, very lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete