Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Today’s walk brought a fun incident. It was gorgeous here, so I started out with my sweat shirt on, but after a while tied it around my waist. (See the picture.) Don and I were walking up a street and I had done all my exercises with the cane, so we were holding hands and I was ‘twirling’ my cane. I do that because it further exercises my arm. A lady drove by and turned around a came back and stopped to say, “I just had to come back and tell you what I thought when I saw you! I thought you were a cheerleader out walking until I passed; I just wanted you to know you’ve got it whipped!” It made my day. I figure people must think I’m some kind of idiot, but she just thought I was a cheerleader skipping classes. Bless her heart, she’s a few decades behind times because cheerleaders all have long straight hair these days. But, she was kind and I love her even if she hasn’t seen a cheerleader in years! She probably meant majorette, but it doesn’t make any difference. She meant active teenager, so that took 45 years off me and made me feel like skipping home.

I think there is a lesson in there. They say you should always tell people when you love them. They say to not let friends get away without letting them know how much you care about them. I think it’s also a good idea to say something nice to total strangers. You just might make their day. I thank God that that lady stopped to tell me I looked like someone young and active at her first glance. He finds ways to encourage me. I thank God for you on my side in life, too. Thank you for checking in on me.

Speaking of active, I’ve got exercises yet to do, so I’d better get with the program, as Daddy would say. I hope you feel young and active; if not, come walk with me!

2 comments:

  1. How great the lady turned around and made your day!! Know you will get a lot of milage out of that one and rightfully so!! BTW, Dot didn't tell you, but her 83 year old sister visiting also went on the hayride at church Saturday night!! She's a hoot for sure, and I'll bet you'll be doing hayrides when you are 83 too!! I'm glad Linda set you straight that you are in fact getting back the hour you lost in the spring...so enjoy; and here's hoping your visit to Houston shows everything clean as a whistle!!

    Love ya!
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding! I wanted to pull her out of her car and hug her, but I didn't want to scare her to death!

    How fun for Dot's sister and all of you to go on the hayride! What a fun thing. We should do one here! I'd sure do one now, and I'll do one if I live to 83 and someone invites me, too!

    I'm still confused about the time change. It's time and numbers and they both confuse me something fierce! Don will keep me straight, though. It's a good thing I can sleep on demand; just wish I could wake up on demand!

    Thanks for the hope for all clean in Houston! I expect no problems.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete