Friday, October 5, 2007

One day past Taxol!



We’ve decided to go on to Houston on Sunday instead of Monday. That will give us Monday to rest from the trip and brace for the onslaught on Tuesday. That will be a hairy drive into MD Anderson in rush hour to get there and start with all the appointments at 8:00 a.m. Judy will meet us there as soon as she finishes her workout, then we’ll have lunch together and she’ll hold our hands through the rest of the day. I started all this with her and I’ve missed her since we’ve come home. I’m ready to see her!

I must tell you this. Another side effect of the chemo is mouth sores. I’ve had only a few so far and they’ve gone away quickly with using a soda mouthwash. However, instead of the mouth sores I’ve had mucousitis in my nose. That means the lining of my nose has felt raw and whenever I blew it there was lots of blood. Also when I blew it I never seemed to be able to get it clean. They recommended I use a saline spray in my nose, which I did, but that didn’t help much. So I tried a Neti pot and the nurse said that was good. I love that Neti pot! I think everyone should use one to prevent sinus and other infections. The nose has to really work hard to filter all the pollution out there. I sleep so much better and start the day with a clear head with this Neti pot. I use it first thing each morning and before going to bed. Check it out here if you are interested. This site will tell you where you can get a Neti pot. This is the kind I have (got it at Wal-Mart):

http://shop.neilmed.com/s.nl;jsessionid=ac112b801f43a9e7ebfa207b4982931db57910726f4f.e3eTaxiPc3mTe34Pa38Ta38Pb3b0?sc=2&category=6

This video will show you how to use the Neti pot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sDIbRAXlg

A good information site about the Neti pot is at this location:

http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/neti-pot.htm

The pictures on tonight’s blog:

1) My favorite of the hats Susan sent yesterday. I’m going to have some fun with this one; it’s kind of dressy, so it’ll be good for church and going out special.
2) I really love this pink one, too. It’s a snug warm one and has the little breast cancer ribbon knitted into it. It’s so soft!
3) Me in the Gina wig! I bought this wig at a yard sale once because it reminded me of Gina. She wore her hair like this wig (not so wild) for lots of years. We’ve had fun with it. All the kids have had their picture made in it and lots of the big people. It’s a fun family thing. Now, I’ve even had my picture made in it. This is the Grace pose that makes Garrett think my face is always itching. How cute is that? Grandkids are the BEST, and I thank God!!!

5 comments:

  1. A hint for your nose.... get some Lansinoh (purified lanolin - you can find it in the baby section of Walmart, another brand is OK, too) and put some of that in your nose. Sometimes I get a sore in my nose and a little Lansinoh rubbed on it makes it go away fast! It's also very soothing. Glad the neti pot is working! I love mine, too! Great for making a stuffy nose clear so you can get to sleep at night.

    Have a safe trip to Houston! We are always thinking about you!

    Love,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Trish. I'll look for Lansinoh. I'm so content with the neti pot, but it won't hurt to have another remedy up my sleeve!

    We'll be in touch and keep you posted this week. We miss you all!

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I learned something new tonight. Never heard anything about this Neti pot...loved the video (yeah I pay attention to your info)
    I love that blue/green hat. I thought it was a scarf that you had tied around your head. Looks beautiful Maryjo. dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, you are so the best! Go get a neti pot!

    I love you!

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana, I need to tell you this about that hat: it really does have a scarf looped through the loops. I can put another colored scarf through there and change the whole look. It's really an awesome hat! I knew you'd like this one!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete