Sunday, October 21, 2007


Today I was all ready to go to church, but decided to not go. I am right in the middle of my cycle between treatments and my immune system is supposed to be at it’s lowest. I knew of one friend who is sick and then another called this morning to say she was sick and hoped I hadn’t caught anything from her. I’m supposed to avoid crowds, so I figured I’d better play it safe and stay home because lots of people go to church even when they are sick. Since I wasn’t going to church I drank a bottle of water; that’s the picture on today’s post. Drinking water is one of my hardest jobs. I have to drink at least 2 liters, but I usually drink 3. It wears me out when it gets heavy and I have to get rid of it; I have to be careful and drink when I know there is a bathroom handy. It also makes me feel so full all the time. Maybe I’ll eat less and lose some weight; ha! I wish.

I spent the day and evening throwing and packaging herbs and vitamins for 2 months for Don. We were down to enough to get him through this month, but we need enough to get him through March, since we’ll be leaving in January for Houston for my surgery and radiation. We’ll leave here the last week in December to go to Branson for a week and we’ll go straight to Houston from there. In March we hope to go back to Branson for spring break week, so I need to have March covered. I’m not doing any herbs or vitamins while I’m doing chemo. I wonder if they’ll let me start them again after the chemo is done. I need to learn that because if I can, then I need to throw a bunch for me, too. UGH! I have a bunch thrown that they wouldn’t let me take. Probably that’s enough to get me through March. I’ll have to throw 3 more months for Don this week before I have treatment next week. I may not do as well this time as I did last time, so I have to be braced for that.

I’m still feeling good except for being so fatigued. I can deal with that. I’m so grateful to not be nauseated; what a blessing. Everyone keeps asking me if I’m sick, so I guess you might be wondering, too. I’m not. I’m being very careful to not catch any bugs. I wash my hands like a doctor, and they say that’s the number one thing to do to avoid getting sick. The next is to avoid crowds. It’s working, so far.

Thanks for checking on me. God is taking care of me, and you, too! PTL!

4 comments:

  1. I was so thrilled to see Winky! I remember the rage and loved the fun memory your picture recalled. So happy to see you looking and sounding remarkable. God bless, Patty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, you look just beautiful even while drinking your water. Lovely hat trimmed in red, the red pin and earrings. Yes, you are ready to go to church. Think you made a wise choice as you do need to avoid crowds as your immune system is not what it once was. Thanks for your email, which I just answered on my lazy day with the wonderful rain outside. The Southeast could stand lots and lots of this, slow steady rain. You continue to be in my prayers and as we get closer to the time of your departure for Houston, you will be more and more on my mind. Do hope you can have a good holiday in Branson. Much love, Eb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty, how sweet it is to hear from you! I'm so glad you were thrilled to see Winky and remembered him! Thanks for all your support. I think of you all the time and feel that you are really here with me.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Eb, for your sweet comments and your holiday wishes for us in Branson. We'll have a great time! Trish and her family are going to spend the week with us, and we'll have Gretta's Garrett with us, too. Then Gretta and Elena will meet us to finish out the week and her husband Joe will come if he can get away from the horses. He's getting to spend the winter in Lexington with the horses, this year, so he's close to home for a change. Getting away is another trick; I hope he can do it; we'd sure love to have him. I'll be done with chemo by then, so I should be well on my way to repair. Our plan is to go straight to Houston for my surgery after this trip.

    Take care of YOU, now!!!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete