Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Toenails turning black. Ulp.



This is the eve of my last Taxol treatment. Yippee! The housekeeping angel came today; Yippee!!! Linda, I so agree with you that hiring her is the best thing I’ve done! It was so nice to just nap in the recliner in the basement and then wake up and sew while she did all the hard work. She is so industrious; she is awesome! She got the step stool and even cleaned the ceiling fans! I didn’t ask her to do that; she just did it. She’s amazing! Thank you, Linda, for encouraging me so strongly!

This morning was hard for me. I was hurting a lot and had a queasy stomach. I think the queasy stomach was from drinking so much water at once. I was trying to get as much water down and deleted before the housekeeper got here, so I wouldn’t be constantly running to the bathroom while she was here. I finally got to sleep right before she got here; then I heard her ring the bell and remembered I needed to get the mop for her. After getting the mop for her I went right back down for a good nap. I felt much better when I woke up and smelled all the cleaning stuff up here. It’s sure the way to clean! I spent the rest of the afternoon making hats and sleeves. It also feels good to get that task done.

This morning I noticed my right big toenail is turning black. That’s a side effect of the chemo. It kind of makes me feel better that at least there is something to look at for all the pain. I keep looking and see NOTHING and think I must be crazy; then this morning there it was: a darkening toenail. That’s the first picture on the blog. The left one is darkening, too, but not so much. I also took a picture of my left hand. The nails are darkening, but I hadn’t noticed it until I noticed the toenail. You can see how they are whiter toward the cuticles; that’s the new nail growing. Interesting. These are not beautiful pictures for the blog, but it’s how it looks here, today.

It sure could be worse, so I am so thanking God! I am SO grateful for the housekeeping angel; her name is Angela; how appropriate! Don was so impressed that she moved the loveseat out and vacuumed under it! He said, “I sure never did that when I vacuumed!” Neither did I! Once a year I may have pulled it out, but surely never more than that (I don’t even think that often!). I am grateful for the Taxol that is doing its work to kill this cancer. I’m grateful for the doctors who know to use it. I’m grateful for a husband, family and friends who support me through this. Thank you for being one of those! I thank God for all of it.

By the way, Sidney is in his own room, now! He got to take a shower and he’s doing really well. We’ll know in time about how much damage was done to his brain. Please keep praying; I’ll keep you posted. For now, he can walk with help and he recognizes everyone he should recognize. God is so great and awesome!

2 comments:

  1. Garrett wants to know why your cheeks itch in the pictures? I was like, WHAT??? Then I realized that in half of your "posed" pictures you have your hand up to your face like photographers used to have people do for photos! I explained to him that was a POSE and I THINK he got it, but I'm not sure!

    I sure hope this next round of chemo isn't terrible for you and I wish we could be there, but even if we had planned to come this weekend we would have probably had to cancel....we are fighting a bug! UGH! Can't bring you our germs! I don't know when we will get to come! I hope all the pictures will suffice for a while!

    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jilly, is Garrett smart or what? That's the pose I learned from GRACE! Whenever you start to snap her picture she grabs that pose. She's better at it than I am, but she's such a hoot with it! It' helps me to get a good smile going to grab that pose and think of Grace doing it! Garrett is such a sweetheart to be so sensitive and see that!

    This round of chemo will be no worse for me than it is for millions of people who have it. I can be in there amongst the best of them, don't you think? If I get fatigued, I'm good at sleeping. If I get sick, I'm great with a burp bag; I've had lots of experience with that! It only lasts 3 months. I can do it for 3 months; and it MIGHT be a breeze for me.

    UGH! GERMS! You fight those germs! You don't need them, either!!! Don't worry about coming. Just get better in time to come to Branson for New Year's Eve (or right after for you). Keep sending the pictures! We LOVE them. I'm having trouble using them for the blog. Sometimes they work fine but lately they just won't go. It's some kind of tech thing and I'm lost. I'll keep working with it so I can share them.

    Get better soon!

    Love you all,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete