Saturday, October 20, 2007

Winky brings a treasured memory.



If you keep reading the blog you’ll find out a lot about my family and history. My mom was VERY frugal. She used to say that for every nickel she saved Daddy spent a quarter. That’s the worst thing she ever said about my dad who left her for many years. (Daddy came home once to try to talk Mom into a divorce and she seduced him; I was the result of that seduction. They were separated before that and until I was 6, so they were separated over 7 years.), and all those years he didn’t contribute to her income to rear 3 children so if she hadn’t already known how to be frugal she sure learned it. Having said that, when we were at Itazuke it was all the rage among all the 12 and 13 year olds to have a Winky. My Winky is pictured on the blog today. I found him a few months ago and told Ruthie about finding him yesterday and she didn’t remember him. I didn’t usually have what was all the rage to have because it usually didn’t fit into Mom’s budget; if it was something I needed and then she always found a way for me to have it. How could anyone NEED a Winky, though? I rode my bicycle to the base pool almost daily. One day on my way home I let my front wheel drop off a sidewalk that stood about 3 inches above the ground and lost control and crashed. I skinned the outside of my ankle on that sidewalk and came home pale and bleeding. Daddy was touched that I was so hurt but not crying; he cleaned up my ankle and then went off base and brought home my Winky. That’s one of my sweet memories of my dad.

I used to take the Winky to all our Itazuke reunions, but several years ago I couldn’t find him to take. I figured I’d taken him to a reunion and he’d gotten thrown away with the packing of our memorabilia. I hated that, but I still had my treasured memories. A couple of months ago, when we were looking for a suitcase to take to Houston I dug out one we hadn’t used for years and there was Winky in one of the side pockets! You can imagine how thrilled I was. I put him on the blog, thinking he might nudge the memories of some of the Itazuke girls and to nudge Ruthie’s memory, especially. Maybe Phil will remember the Winkie’s too.

The other picture on the blog today is me headed to breakfast this morning. We met the Rules and the Meiers at the Kozy Diner, as has become our habit. I take my prunes with me. 15 a day keep the chemo from constipating me. I’m tired of prunes, but so glad something so simple works.

Today has been a better day. I had more energy than yesterday and the neuropathy is about 7 today. I had gotten down to 6, but I think wearing tennis shoes irritated my toes today. (It was 50 degrees this morning, so I wore the shoes.) I’m just going to have to give up on closed toed shoes for a while. Maybe I’ll have to stay at home; that’s probably a good idea to avoid germs, too. I did 3 loads of laundry today and got some clothes altered and repaired. My fingers weren’t happy about that, but I got it done.

I’m thanking God for better days and precious memories. There is so much more for which to be grateful and I am, but those are uppermost in my mind as I write. I hope you are having good days and will take a moment to think of a treasured memory to relish.

9 comments:

  1. BAH HUM BUG!!! I thought I was going to see "Winky" and have a "precious memory".....maybe! I guess the uploading on blog is still down so I will just have to exercise patience (Huh?? Waz zat??!!)) and check later! I'm so glad you've had another good day and hope you will continue to do so. You are staying busy and occupying your mind in order to make a pie out of what could be called a lemon, huh!

    Love you!
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthie, you just misssed the Winky! He's on there, now. I hope you're still up. I'll send you and email. It's a great life. I don't mind the cancer; as the doctor said, "Go on with your life. Cancer is not your life. You have cancer, but we can treat that. Go on with your life." I love that attitude. I have to go on slower and watch out for cooties, but I'm willing to do that. This is a learning process. God is training me. I love it. Thanks for your support! All the support I get might be the best part of all this.

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello on this Sunday afternoon,
    I have been busy cleaning the mess from having a tree taken out. It was Rachel Brook's 2nd or 3rd Christmas tree, but the drought got it. I haven't told her so when she comes in from MN for Thanksgiving, it will be a "gone" surprise. After that, it was clean two big freezers, which had me longing to be horizontal as the back was letting me know "don't you know when to quit?" So you had a little "Winky." I guess somehow I must have missed out on hearing of that craze. Obviously, it meant a lot to you as well as your school mates for you to carry him to the reunions.

    Seriously, it does sound like you are doing very well even though you are extremely tired. Is the neuropathy getting any better at all. Ruthie is so right about you. No matter what the circumstances, you have the ability to see something good and thank God for it. You are truly an inspiration to all of us.

    Alice had her 81st birthday Oct. 17. I wanted to take her for lunch, but she found excuses, so will probably have to "hog tie" her to get her out for lunch. The next day, the 18th, would have been mine and Les' 61st anniversary. We did have 59+ very good years for which I am very thankful.

    Thank Dot for her kind words about me and sister. Right now I can use all of that I can get!!

    You keep on making lemonade as you do it so well. Love you so much.

    Eb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eb, that Winky craze was when we were in Japan. You know, it was probably never in the state. We missed out on whatever was happening in the state and we made up our own stuff. You didn't miss anything. It probably was just on our base, and maybe only my little group of friends!

    You'd better start taking care of yourself and ease up a bit on all that hard work or Patty and Stan are going to be doing some hog tying! You and Al are like Ruthie and I; we never know when to stop! Phil says, "You Hodge women; you're all alike." I think it's a Fox thing; we only know to quit when we drop. Think about it and do your best to take care to stop in good time. You can call for some help, you know! (I know THAT's a foreign concept, too!)

    If Al doesn't feel like going out to lunch, just go get a nice lunch and take it to her and sit down and enjoy it with her. Maybe next time she'll go with you. Ha! Give her a hug for me when you see her. I love you all!

    Hugs,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. MaryJo,
    I guess I must have missed that Winky craze because this creature rings no bells with me (but then I am older..lol)
    I did love the story about your conception. dana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dana, I think you arrived after the Winky was a hot item. Judy and Patty both remember Winky, so maybe it was hot when we were in 7th grade and you would have been 8th; were you there yet?

    Older; HA! Little difference that makes, now, huh? But if it caused you to miss Winky, how sad! HA!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dana, thinking back, it must have been the summer between my 7th and 8th grades; no lie, were you there then?

    Hugs,

    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might need a year MaryJo...I got there in December of 61'. I was in the 9th grade. dana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dana, that timing explains it. I'm sure the Winky was a thing of the past, by then.

    We can be detectives when we give up our day jobs. Ha!

    Love you,

    Mary Jo

    PS: If anyone is wondering why that one post was deleted, it's because it was a duplicate of the one before it.

    ReplyDelete